Around Berlin in 80 Restaurants Message Board "Around Berlin.." Generic Discussion Forum › Hello from the new Organizer and guidelines for the group

Hello from the new Organizer and guidelines for the group

Closed to new replies

Chris
CTroise
Group Organizer
Berlin, DE
Post #: 32
I'm Chris, the new Organizer of "Around Berlin in 80 Restaurants" Meetup group. While I may be the organizer as far as Meetup is concerned, the people who are really in charge are the same David, Cecile, Kevin, Ben, Chris and Deborah that you know already from over the years.

I took on the cost and work of supporting and organizing this group because I like helping people get together to do things and make friends and I wanted to see this group continue. Since I already pay for two other meetup groups, I can take over this group without it triggering a request for a new fee from Meetup. So it provides a nice cushion of time for the transition to happen without worrying about the finances right off the bat.

For a little while during this transition period - a few months let's say - we'll let the group have a little bit more breathing room with its events than it might have had before. So if in the recent past you had wanted to post a meetup but didn't (because you were maybe afraid you would violate some unwritten rule or step across some line), don't be - Post that idea. Try something out, see how many people out there want to go there with you. The organizers are eager to help those who have ideas but maybe aren't comfortable how to set them up and post them as events.

The organizers would also like to make this Meetup become more of a "Food Lovers" meetup rather than a "Restaurant" meetup that the title suggests. So the overall look and feel of everyone's events should be carefully selected places where one can find interesting, delicious, appropriately priced meals to aid in members meeting up, making new friends and having a nice night out while eating good food. We want to build a community of like minded people who share this idea together.

Here are some guidelines we'd like to use:

- The event doesn't have to just be in a restaurant. If you know of a BBQ in a park, or some pop up food thing, or some supper club or cabaret or other performance event, that has good food feel free to post it. The key thing is Good Food. While in general a fun evening is a mixture of good food and good "action/concept" make sure the scale tilts towards the food side over the concept side

- The event doesn't have to be something you think an organizer would love, or at least not complain about. Let's try new things and see what works. If you have a question about posting an event that got shot down in the past you can come to me first since I'm neutral

- Concerning "Commercial Events" - events where a restaurant or kneipe just basically posts an advertisement to our group - we do not like these. Some of us are vehemently against them in fact. But, for the time being, I would like to lighten the absolute restriction against them. So if your "commercial event" has some kind of value added proposition for the group - a significant one, not something trivial - you can post it. Say you offer a solid 20 or 25% discount - or a lowered pre-fixe price, or an extra course and appetizer for the Meetup members

- Events can repeat at places that have already been visited, that's ok. But the event has to have been a real crowd favorite in the past, and it must not have previously have happened too recently. Every three months may be ok to go to a place again as long as the calendar is not too crowded otherwise. Also we prefer that a repeated event comes from a non commercial related member - so if you're the owner of a restaurant please do not keep posting repeated events to your place even with a value added proposition.

-Concerning non-organizers posting events - we love this - the more ideas and events the better! But before, events posted as suggestions by non event organizers would immediately get sent out as official events. To cut down on email clutter and confusion for the time being we set the toggle so it requires at least two other YES RSVPs before it becomes an event. So everyone make sure to check the "Suggested" tabs on the events page to see what events people are being posting there. If you have a super idea for an event and you think it should immediately become active, ask one of the organizers to look it over and they can do so

In sum, hello! I am happy to join you all. Please keep posting suggested events, come up with new ideas, and if ever you're confused you can bring you question to an organizer for help.

Thanks and best regards,
Chris
ctroise@gmail.com