Rochester Python Meetup Message Board › RocPython meeting

RocPython meeting

David R.
user 6950319
Scottsville, NY
Post #: 1

Hello Rochester Python Meetup group.

I am writing to let you know that we are moving forward with our initial idea of having monthly meeting centered around presentations prepared by our members.
There is room for anyone's input as to the future of this group, but we stand firm that it will be geared more towards a structured meeting than it has in the past.

The plan is to meet for a couple of hours every second Thursday evening of the month.

The meeting format will be as follows:

* Meet up a few minutes before the meeting begins at 7pm.
* Go over any old business and announcements.
* Talks begin.
* After each talk there will be a few minutes for questions or comments.
* Once the talks have been completed discussions on the groups direction, project involvement, or any other ideas will be presented.
* Wrap up.

We want members to be involved so we will likely ask for participation with presentation at some point in the future.
The length of presentation is variable depending on the interest of the group and the willingness of the presenter.
They can be at any level as long as they are relevant to some use or method involving the python programming language.

Initially the meetings will be held in Bausch & Lomb Hall on University of Rochester's River campus.
The first meeting will be held at 7pm on July 12.
We have three speakers for this meeting.

Speaker: Richard Sarkis
Title: Autobahn: A WebSocket Framework
Abstract: WebSocket is the next generation web technology for frame-based, bi-directional and full-duplex communication channels over a single TCP connection. It is designed for and currently implemented in popular web browsers (such as Firefox, Chrome, Safari) and is also intended to be implemented in web servers. WebSocket removes the many limitations and overhead of current asynchronous communication techniques (i.e. Comet/Ajax? Push). Autobahn is a WebSocket (RFC6455) framework written in the Python language that is designed for client and server applications. It is fully conformant to the WebSocket protocol, with its own testing suite. It has an easy to use message-based API, and is based on the highly-asynchronous Twisted event-driven networking engine. In this talk, we'll discuss what is WebSocket in further detail, how AutoBahn? works as the server half of this new internet server architecture and how it succeeds as a web platform written in Python that works not only in a web browser but desktop applications as well.

Speaker: David Rhodes
Title: Using numpy, scipy, and matplotlib to perform motion simulation of vehicles
Abstract: For my work as an imaging scientist I perform full scene simulations. Since I simulate video of moving vehicles, they must move in a natural way. Otherwise, the resulting video is not useful for its purpose. I have built some custom scripts to take 2D 1-second time step motion data and convert it to 3D 1/10-second data. I specifically use numpy and scipy to perform the necessary calculations and matplotlib to display the result in a meaningful way. The resulting data is written out to text file for use with other software.

Speaker: Adam Hayes
Title: GUI Interface, Hacks and Tricks
Abstract: I will show a GUI used to simplify operation of an ancient Fortran code that
cannot be rewritten, along with some hacks and tricks that others may find
useful, with or without a graphical interface:
* a built-in "Python interpreter" within the GUI and scripting capability
* a very simple undo/redo function
* my best attempt to obscure a web address and the code that accesses it
* a simple way to "reactivate" a frozen GUI and resume. (It's crash-proof!)
* a cheesy advertising video
If there's time, I'll show the simple queue system I made up to avoid setting
up a real web server for the GUI to call for data it can't calculate.
I'll also give a very short wish-list that maybe someone can help me with.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me at drhodes@astro.pas.rochester.edu.

Cheers,

Dave Rhodes
Joshua R.
user 13274366
Group Organizer
Rochester, NY
Post #: 2
This meeting is now going to be rolled into the meeting on the 24th and will not happen on the 12th.