Round Rock Writers Guild Message Board Books, Backgrounds, & Inspirations › Books for Writers (and Readers)

Books for Writers (and Readers)

A former member
Post #: 16
Thought I'd post the titles I mentioned at the meeting today -- with the authors names. I'll add comments later in the week.

• The Art of Fiction by David Lodge
  • Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose
  • Ron Carlson Writes a Story by Ron Carlson
  • The Artful Edit by Susan Bell
  • The Screenwriters Bible by David Trottier

Books I didn't mention today, but should have:

• Stein on Writing by Sol Stein
  • Emotional Structure: Creating the Story Beneath the Plot by Peter Dunne (this was written for screenwriters, but I think it's for everyone)

Please add any titles you found that added to your understanding of writing, and reading as a writer.
A former member
Post #: 1
Though it's not exclusively about writing, I would Highly recommend The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron to anyone with creative leanings. It's a 12 week "course" with tasks at the end of each week's reading to help you deal with criticism you've had in the past and to carry on with your creative projects and expand your creative self. I've found it very helpful and am about to start her second book called The Vein of Gold.
A former member
Post #: 18
Here's a fun book to loosen up, and really challenge the ordinary thinker to let loose:

Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith.

I bought 2 copies today after sitting down and looking at every page, some of them twice! When I got home I started in a few places, and looked at all the pages yet again.

I'll keep one for myself, and send the other as a gift to another writer. It's dedicated to the perfectionist in anyone.

A former member
Post #: 30
See some reviews of writing books I have read on my good reads site:

Some of these I'm still reading. I never read one book at a time . . . tongue

A former member
Post #: 7
I've been working through a book called
The Write Brain Workbook by Bonnie Neubauer.

It gives short exercises for each day of year (even leap year!) and a suggestion to take it a step farther. I began the book last year and slacked off and now I've picked it back up. Some of the things I wrote in the past sounded pretty decent after I re-read them, and would make great short stories.
Michael Paul S.
user 96706572
Round Rock, TX
Post #: 7
Here's a good bit on Identifying The Essential Characteristics of a Solution from "The Voice of the Crystal":
"When faced with problems for which there are no off-the-shelf-solutions, (some of the engineers I have worked with) are stymied. They are educated, and knowledgeable, but they don't know how to think. So, they implement cumbersome and expensive solutions instead of creative, simple, and cost effective ones. ...
What plugs into a wall socket? A television? A lamp? In truth, the wall socket doesn't care, as long as your appliance has certain essential characteristics. A wall plug must have two flat metal blades of the proper size & length. The blades must be supported by an insulating material, and must be attached to wires to carry the current to your device. ...must be capable of running on house current... not consume more than a certain amount. If your appliance meets these essential characteristics, exactly what it does is immaterial.
If you treat a problem like a metaphorical wall outlet, you can look on any solution as a black box. Determine the minimum requirements that allow the solution to "plug-in" to the problem. Any idea that matches the "plug" characteristics is, by definition, a solution! Once you look at thing this way, the solution either becomes obvious, or you will be turned to a whole class of solution-candidates that you might otherwise have overlooked."