addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The San Antonio Environmental Meetup Message Board › Organic Pest Control : Sustainable Living Meeting 4/28/09

Organic Pest Control : Sustainable Living Meeting 4/28/09

A former member
Post #: 107
Last night I attended the Sustainable Living meeting. I had a great time seeing some old friends and making some new ones. There were about a dozen people in attendance to hear Joseph of Earth Wise Organic Pest Control explain the ins and outs of living in harmony with the other creatures on this planet. But first Stephen gave an introduction of his group and I was able to give a spiel about our meetup and the upcoming Green Drinks event, next Tuesday. Have you RSVP’d?

Onto my take-aways to Joseph’s replies to some questions:

Fleas:

* Key to getting rid of fleas is to work with the Earth Wise treatments, i.e., trim your grass.
* Jackie offered some products for bathing dogs that have worked well for her including: Natural Defense, rosemary, and some soap. More details on those to follow in separate email/message board post.
* Nematodes (microscopic, nonsegmented worms) destroy fleas, but you will need to keep the soil moist.

Termites & ants:

* In TX, a company has to use chemicals to treat/prevent termites.
* Earth Wise uses a foam containing the same chemical as in Frontline and injects it into pinholes in the walls. The foam will block entrance ways (plumbing) and the chemical will kill whatever is living in there. For new builds he will guarantee this treatment for 10 yrs (I think it was).
* Aspartame is an insecticide for ants. It is not recommended that you inhale it. (Yes, I Googled it. I am just reporting what was discussed at the meeting. )
* Mint apple jelly mixed with boric acid or vinegar was also suggested for ants.

Wasps are good they are insectivores. Unless they are aggressive, if you don’t go near them they will leave you alone.

Cedar oil for mosquitoes.
In general, whatever organic solution/program that Joseph and company develop for your situation, you and the rest of your household have to agree to do your part in maintaining the right environment to keep the pests away.

There was a whole lot more discussed, but just wanted to share some of the details.

Michelle

P.S. This didn't make it in the email, but they meet every fourth (not last) Tuesday of the month.
Karen
KarenD23
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 5
Thanks for the good information, Michelle!
Jacqueline F.
user 7145019
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 10
Michelle,

Here is the flea info:

1.) The soap/shampoo (that has no plastic bottle to end up in a landfill or worse) is made by Cammie's Handmade Soaps. It is made with all handmade and natural ingredients including eucalyptus and citronella (this has worked the best on my dogs). Their website is www.cammieshandmadesoaps.com.

2.) The flea drops (two kinds) 1. from Sergeant's Nature's Guardian, 2. Natural Defense. Both have cinnamon, peppermint, clove, lemongrass, and thyme. Both are safe to use around the whole family (with no chemical smell).

3.) To add to the dogs bath water bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat and add 1 cup of rosemary. Let it sit till cool and add to the bathwater (I pour it over the dogs and rinse well).

Jackie
A former member
Post #: 108
I wanted to capture Jason's suggestions on this discussion for future reference...

Another natural / organic fire ant control:

Green Light Fire Ant Control w/ Conserve

Listed By the Organic Materials Review Institute for Use in organic production. Kills fire Ants and their queen. Organic gardener / radio host Bob Webster recommends (and advertises) for Green Light's Fire Ant w/ Conserve. I know Fertile Garden Supply stocks and sells it online (if you're looking for a local place). Garden-ville had its own fire ant treatment, but I couldn't locate it on their website.

I haven't priced corn meal, so I don't know which is cheaper. As long as it works, I'll stick to cheaper. :-)

Here's a video on various pest control methods using natural products & methods:

http://www.youtube.co...­

Sounds like I missed a great meeting. Thanks for the summary, Michelle. -Jason

A former member
Post #: 119
More suggestions:
* Lemon Rinse: Slice 1 lemon and add to very hot (near boiling) water. Steep over night, strain the lemon so that you just have the liquid. Sponge into the dog(s) coat. Air dry. **Note: I suggest doing this outside, so when the fleas jump off they don't go into the carpet. **Note: You can do this daily, but it does dry out the skin.

* Brewer's yeast can be used as a flea powder and can be added to the dogs food. (My dogs love to lick this off of themselves and the food.)

* Essential Neem Oil works as a natural flea repellent. Whole Foods sells a shampoo (Thera Neem) that is made with it (in the human section and in the pet section {both have the same ingredients listed}, it works really well). Also, they sell two types of oils (1) that can be ingested and (1) that cannot be ingested.

* Chelated Zinc (10 mg) for small dogs/cats and (20 mg) for large dogs will help with the skin, in turns helps against fleas.

* Adding lavender essential oil (1 to 2 drops) when washing the dog(s) bedding can help kill the fleas. **Note: This can also be applied between the shoulders of the dog as flea drops {make sure it is only lavender essential oil for this purpose or you can burn the skin of your little one}