addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

SCV Arthritis and Autoimmune Message Board › An Email from Our YogaWorks Instructor

An Email from Our YogaWorks Instructor

Jena M.
Jmminassian
Santa Clarita, CA
Hi Guys!

I recieved the following email yesterday from "Toni"- The lady who is teaching our YogaWorks class tomorrow! So, I wanted to pass it along to everyone who RSVP'd for tomorrow's class! I am looking forward to seeing all of you tomorrow around 1:40/1:45!!!!   :-)

Let me know if you have any questions!!!

- Jena

JMMinassian@yahoo.com

(661) 312-8913

A MESSAGE FROM TONI, TOMORROW'S YOGAWORKS INSTRUCTOR:

HI Jena,

I thought this information would be useful to the group. It's just some basics to help them maintain a safe practice on Sunday. Yoga is not one size fits all and it's better to skip a pose or come out of one if something does not feel right. The idea is to find poses that work for you.  Just like finding the right medications,  it takes a little time and patience to find the right mix of yoga poses. Doing less is always safer. Below are a few tips.

Yoga Contradictions and Special Considerations:

• Don't over tax a joint that's flaring- know when to skip a pose

• Don't jump into poses

• Muscle fatigue, such as shakiness or increased discomfort- come out of the pose. Tired muscles may not be able to hold the proper alignment and the result could be further damage to the joint.

•  Evaluate how you feel in a pose and afterwards. More than your usual level of stiffness a couple of hours later or the next day, may be a sign you need to scale back your practice. Perhaps omit poses that trigger pain.

•  RA- when a joint is acutely inflamed- redness, warmth, swelling, and/or increased pain- you may need to skip asana practice that day and work on breathing and restoratives. Additionally- do poses briefly 2-3 times on each side  slowly to avoid flare ups.

•  If you are on pain medication- take it early enough before yoga to allow it to be absorbed into your system.

I hope this helps.

See you Sunday!   : )

Peace,

Toni

http://tonikuhn.com/...­