addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Amanda P.
mandabeastie
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 14
I thought there should at least be some official discussion of our plans for Youmacon.

There has been some talk about throwing together an informal meetup and playing some Mahjong in the Game Room. Also, a fellow from a Chicago Area Mahjong group will be in the neighborhood! I got a message on my profile from one of their members:

"...at least, one from the Chicago group is heading out to Youmacon for some mahjong. Would you and others from the club be willing to join him for a few games? He'll be in the Wintergarden Atrium on Friday and Saturday."

I did reply telling him we had something unofficial going for Saturday in the Game Room. But if you guys could keep an eye out for a brother from Chicago, that'd be awesome!

Also, let me or Adam know and we can toss up an actual meetup page for the Youmacon thing? What do you think?
Lawrence Leverett ...
rensuchan
Farmington, MI
Post #: 5
I'll be hanging around the Wintergarden while idle from doing photo shoots and other press stuff since I have a press badge. I'd love to join in for a game or two.
Adam
akilleen
Royal Oak, MI
Post #: 34
Are any of you going on Friday during the day? I'd be able to come by and hang out for a while during the day if you are going to be around. I miss you guys!
Ed L.
user 12581160
Macomb, MI
Post #: 1
I am going to be there all weekend!!!!!!! I want to see you all and play mahjong so bad! I've been so caught up with life that a awesome bout of リーチ would be nice! Keep me posted!
Merle
user 11831024
Group Organizer
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 21
I'll be around all day Saturday. Any idea on what time we want to start?
Steve
sdaugie
Ypsilanti, MI
Post #: 2
I'll be there all weekend, let me know and I'll be sure do drop by the game room for some play.
Jocilyn
user 12236492
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 15
I can totally come any of the three days. But if I wanted to do all weekend, without a car I would have to stay overnight... and I'm betting the hotels are all out of my price range.
Junichi
user 13013303
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 2
Hey guys,

I'll be there on Friday afternoon/night, all day Sat, and probably half or most of Sun.

I did book a room for Sat night, so anyone can feel free to crash in the room with me. It's has one king size bed, so two or even three people can share the bed plus anyone with sleeping bag can sleep wherever. More the merrier. It doesn't have to be the even split of cost, but I'd accept donation of any amount.

As for transportation, I plan on heading out of A2 at around 1pm, come back late Fri night, Drive out again Sat morning, and totally willing to drive people back Sat night before coming back to crash at the hotel downtown.

The only complication with Sat night ride back to A2 is that I don't know quite how late or how long the Street Fighter tournament will run. I'm sure I'll lose at the first match but it didn't start until after midnight last year...

As for Riichi in the boardgame room, I'm up for it anytime. It looks like Sat is when most of us are out there, so Sat sometime would make sense. I'll take a look on the event schedule to see if there's anything I really want to attend, but otherwise I'm up for playing it there any of the days at any point for a few rounds or for tutorial sessions. Post your time preferences here as you look at the event calendar too!

-Junichi
Al
user 31467962
Morton Grove, IL
Post #: 14
Nice. A Youmacon thread. Sadly, I cannot attend, even though I want to.

Here's an update:

Representing Chicago Anime Mahjong Players, his name is Mark; and he'll be set up in the Wintergarden Atrium from 6-9pm on Friday; 2:30-5 & 8-10 Saturday. At least, this is what he's planning on.

In any case, game on. Enjoy.

:3
Junichi
user 13013303
Ann Arbor, MI
Post #: 4
Hey Al,

Here's what I posted to the Youmacon Forum under Mahjong Topic. I have a suspicion that Mark might be the one who started that forum thread. But anyhow, let him know of my response. Let's play some mahjong! : )

--------------------
Hi Oreo,

I'm Junichi (or Skurdy) and my friends and I from the Detroit Area Mahjong Meetup (http://www.meetup.com...­) will be there at various times on Friday and Sat and will be happy to join you for playing and or teaching Japanese mahjong.

Those who watched Saki, Akagi and other great mahjong Anime and are interested in joining are welcome to stop by to learn how to play Riichi Mahjong.

We'll bring mahjong sets, mats and basic instruction with list of valid hands (borrowed from the US professional Mahjong League) and cheat sheets for how to read Chinese character tiles.

I'm not sure exactly when or where we'll set up, either in the board gaming room or in the main atrium on the ground level). Let me know if you want to suggest a time / place to meet and play/teach.

We also heard about a guy from Chicago Anime Mahjong Players (and it might just be you ;)) who's planning to set up mahjong in the Wintergarden atrium (is this the main atrium on the ground level looking out toward the river/canada?).

I'll check this board a couple of times a day to see if others might be interested. Feel free to text me at 408-475-8739 and let's try to find each other.

-Junichi
------------------------