SF Bay Area Classic Films Message Board › Christmas movie suggestions

Christmas movie suggestions

Russ
russito
Group Organizer
San Mateo, CA
Classic Movie Fans,

Since the Stanford won't be doing much to celebrate the season, next month, and we've all probably seen It's a Wonderful Life enough to think the "wonderful" is meant ironically, it may be time to hunker down with the DVD player/Netflix, at home. So, here are a few titles to get you thinking -- and PLEASE: Share your favorites in a Reply to the copy of this message on the Discussions board! 

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) -- OK, nothing overtly Christmas-y about this one, but it's got the right spirit, and no one looked better in green tights than Errol Flynn!

The Apartment (1960) -- What's a Christmas party without a little vinegar in the punchbowl? Billy Wilder's classic, acerbic take on modern romance at the holidays. "Shut up and deal!"

Casablanca (1942) -- You do remember that the action takes place in Dec. 1941, don't you?

Christmas in Connecticut (1945) -- A phony Heloise-like columnist (Barbara Stanwyck) must channel her inner Martha Stewart when her editor and a war hero invite themselves to her home for the holidays.

A Christmas Story (1983) -- Ralphie really wants that rifle!!!

A Christmas Tale (2008) -- Mom's dying of cancer, and her only hope is a bone marrow transplant from one of her adult children -- none of whom really like her! Her only hope may be her blacksheep son, whom she doesn't like at all! An odd, funny, discursive comedy/drama that gets family dynamics strangely right! (French)

Diner (1982) -- Barry Levinson's hilarious, affectionate memoir of growing into adulthood in Baltimore, in the 1950s. "I'll have an order of fries with gravy and a cherry Coke..."

Downton Abbey Series 2 (2011) -- The second installment of the Crawley Chronicles concludes with a party celebrating Christmas 1919. If you haven't kept up, you'll have to watch the preceding 24 episodes to understand all the characters and plots. Better hurry: Season 3 starts in January.

Fanny & Alexander (1982) -- Ingmar Bergman's humane and magical epic of a Swedish theatrical family at the turn of the 20th Century is a feast. Watch it in the original, five hour-plus TV version. (Swedish)

The Godfather (1972) -- Hey, a big chunk of the first half takes place during the Christmas shopping season.

Great Expectations (1946) -- As richly Dickensian as a pork pie and silk hat. Watch for the debut of a young Alec Guinness as Mr. Pocket.

Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941) -- Again, not explicitly a Christmas story, but this Robert Montgomery fantasy of a boxer "taken before his time," and retuned to earth to realize his destiny has a heart and spirit that's just right for the season. (The source for Warren Beatty's remake "Heaven Can Wait.")

My Mother’s Castle (1990) -- The second part of Marcel Pagnol's memoirs (after My Father's Glory) features a traditional, Provençal Christmas, at the dawn of the 20th Century.

Oliver Twist (1948) -- David Lean's film is the best adaptation of Dickens' orphan tale: every bit as harsh, violent, and yes, sentimental as the original. Alec Guinness' Fagin is alternately insinuating and dangerous.

Scrooge (aka: A Christmas Carol) (1951) -- Alastair Sim's performance as Scrooge is the gold standard for the part.

The Shop Around the Corner (1940) -- A department store manager and sales clerk bicker and fight like cats and dogs, during the Christmas season in old Budapest, unaware that they're pen pal lovers. From the master, Ernst Lubitsch.

This Happy Breed (1944) -- David Lean's adaptation of Noel Coward's bittersweet, domestic epic about a typical, English family's life from 1919 to 1939, captures the hopes and anxieties of a generation that twice saw the world plunged into war in its lifetime.

Three Godfathers (1948) -- The story of the three Magi as told in a John Ford/John Wayne Western.

To Be or Not To Be (1942) -- Hammy, Polish actors fool gullible Nazis in Ernst Lubitsch's classic comedy that's both a Valentine to the theatrical profession, and a political satire about the power of art to defeat Fascism.

That should be enough to get you thinking. Now, add your titles to the thread on the Discussion board! 
A former member
Post #: 8
Those are all good movies, Russ, but you forgot the classic National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation with the Griswolds! It's playing on the big screen at the Retro Dome in San Jose Dec 14 & 15!
Josh
user 8270932
San Jose, CA
Post #: 2
Die hard is the greatest Christmas movie of all time.

and i'm not the only one who thinks thinks this

http://blogcritics.or...­
google this topic...you'll see
A former member
Post #: 1

1) The Shop Around the Corner
2) Here Comes Mr. Jordan
3) The Adventures of Robin Hood

Thank you,

Dylan
Roz
roz_young
Pacifica, CA
Post #: 25
HAHA Caroline
We have Christmas vacation on VHS at my house. Definitely has some great lines in it.

I'd like to add Bill Murray's Scrooged. Hysteracal and very dark!

http://www.youtube.co...­

I love the scenes with Carol Kane
She really beats the crap out of Bill
http://movieclips.com...­

Roz
Russ
russito
Group Organizer
San Mateo, CA
Post #: 205
Forgot this one: Has anyone seen Blackadder's Christmas Carol? Hilarious, dyspeptic take on Dickens! With Rowan Atkinson, Stephen Fry, and Hugh Laurie

Cindy C.
cindycornell
Burlingame, CA
Post #: 11
HURRY! Saddest Christmas movie EVER on tonight at 7:15 on TCM. All Mine to Give with Glynnis Johns. I DARE ANY OF YOU NOT TO BAWL THROUGH THIS MOVIE! Tape it if you can't watch tonight.