SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › Where to get chicks?

Where to get chicks?

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm passing on this message from Monica: to Jennifer R.

I (want) to let her know that it will be
easier for her to find chicks in the springtime. But another
option is to go to a chicken show or feed store. There's a
chicken show in Stockton coming up on January 24th/25th. I
doubt she will find chicks but there's usually some started
pullets there. mypetchicken.com is a good resource for
ordering small lots of chickens, too.

The Pacific Poultry Breeders Association (www.pacificpoultry.
org) Winter Show on January 24th/25th will be at the Stockton
Fairgrounds. Here is a link to the premium book which has the
schedule in it.
<http://www.pacificpou...­

My friend is supposed to tell me which night is the poultry
sale.
- Monica

A former member
Post #: 2
I didn't have much luck at getting chicks from My Pet Chicken. Searching through the Backyard Chicken forums lead me to a woman by the name of Joan Zelany (the self-proclaimed "Chicken Lady") who raises chicks and boards horses up in Cotati. She's kind of a nut (in a good way!) and always seems to have an assortment of chicks of many breeds (from reputable hatcheries around the country). Most start at around $5 (7-14 days), with higher prices on some older birds.

her email is <onthetrail53@hotmail.com>

Lorraine
A former member
Post #: 19
I think everyone will have a little better luck for getting chicks in the spring when the big hatcheries start shipping. I'm also guessing that mypetchicken.com will have more available then.

In the meantime, you may stumble across on some local chicken people that may sell you some started pullets (females under 1 year) and maybe even chicks. Although I'm in Stockton, I'll let you know if I hear anything from my area!

OH one more idea! I found a lady in Vacaville via Craig's list that raises chickens. Unfortunately, I didn't keep her contact info so I can't pass it on. But search around in the different locales on Craigs list.
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
Half Moon Bay Feed and Fuel has chicks year round, but if you want a specific breed, you have to wait till it comes in. They know from week to week what's going to arrive.

BUT...the place I found is called Ranch Hag Hens. It's a family ranch in Petaluma. The family has been raising chickens for generations. Dawn, the owner is wonderful! She's very patient, helpful and knowledgable. Plus, if one of your chicks turns out to be a rooster, she'll take him back and you can get another chick. Can't do that on MyPetChicken. I know everyone tries their best to sex the chicks, but every now and then one turns up a he instead of a she! She also has hens at all different ages. I got mine at 4 days old, but she also has older ones, too. She's very helpful in regards to breeds as well as sensitive to your own preference.

I'd rate this place A+++ for getting chicks.
Kate S.
user 9459976
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
My son's first grade class hatches some chicks every spring -- they are up for grabs and if no one takes them, they go to Phipps Ranch (sp?) in San Mateo. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can put you in touch with the teacher.
Rose L.
user 9479949
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 4
Hello, all,

Besides those places mentioned in earlier threads, does anyone know any place to get chicks or maybe pullets near south bay area?

Thanks.

Rose
A former member
Post #: 5
Half Moon Bay Feed and Fuel has chicks call for breeds and sexing.
Rose L.
user 9479949
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 5
Thanks, Elaine, I called Half Moon Bay Feed and Fuel and they do have 17 Bantee chickens now. However: 1. They can't tell female and male until after 20 weeks. 2. They don't give vaccines to chickens.

I can live with the #1 issue. If some of them are males, I will buy more back from to get better chance of females.

Then for #2, does any of you know where to get vaccines? I called http://www.mcmurrayha...­ but they don't sell vaccines only.

Thanks.

Rose