addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › Where to learn about raising chickens?

Where to learn about raising chickens?

A former member
Post #: 3
in his intro, Chris mentioned a workshop for getting set up with backyard chickens. It sounds very thorough--maybe if anyone has taken it, they could give some more info?

I took a good workshop at the SF Garden for the Environment last spring. They don't have anything scheduled right now, but you could email them to see if their might be later in the spring. They have great gardening and composting workshops (which often goes along with chickens!)

Garden for the Environment
<http://www.gardenfort...­
A former member
Post #: 18
Ironically enough (since I'm no where near the bay area!), I've taken the chicken class that Chris mentioned.

The class is in Ben Lomond at Cynthia Sandberg's Love Apple Farm, a Bio-Dynamic Farm which is also the kitchen garden for Manresa Restaurant. If you are in to organic and sustainable farming, it really is a treat to visit her operation.

Although I think I had lots of chicken info that I learned by osmosis over many years from one of my friends, I felt like Cynthia's class was very thorough and she gave you lots of good tips. More importantly, she has a real-world set-up of a chicken coop that she is able to show you on site. She also sent everyone home with some basic supplies (coop plans, feeder & waterer components, small amount of shavings and food, heat lamp, and chicks. Basically all you needed to do is make sure to have a cardboard box on hand for their brooder box and a couple of mason jars for the waterer and feeder.

Courtney
user 9026668
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Thanks for that tip! I've signed up for the CITY CHICKENS! AND DUCKS TOO! workshop.

AN INTRODUCTION TO RAISING AND CARING FOR HEALTHY CHICKENS AND DUCKS IN SAN FRANCISCO
Date: Saturday, April 11th, 2009
Time: 10AM - 12:00 Noon
Location: Garden for the Environment, 7th Ave at Lawton Street, San Francisco
Cost: $15

You can keep chickens and ducks in San Francisco! Join Paul Glowaski and Cooper Funk of Urban Eggs for an exciting workshop on organic “eggriculture”. You will learn how to legally keep chickens and ducks in San Francisco, from coop design to health concerns, and what to feed them and examples of appropriate organic systems for both chickens and ducks.

To pre-register, please call (415) 731-5627, or email info@gardenfortheenvironment.org.

Courtney
user 9026668
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 4
Anyone else going to chicken school tomorrow? I'll be there for certain, so introduce yourself to me, Courtney, if you're there.