align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › Chicks ready for outside?

Chicks ready for outside?

A former member
Post #: 4
Well, my three chicks have been in my kitchen for five weeks now. Are they ready to be moved to their coop outside? Their cage is partially heated to 80 degrees and I've pulled it away a little to bring down the temp. Nights here in Oakland are around 52 -54 degrees lately. Can they adjust?
Kathy
swimmy44
Swimmy44
Oakland, CA
Post #: 5
At this age, 80 degrees is not necessary - they should have a lot of feathers by now and the feathers will grow faster if they are cooler. They can't go outside until they are under NO heat inside. Outside pen should have access to both shade and sun - my preference is to have a coop where they can hide underneath when it rains or gets very hot. I am in Oakland too and it is certainly chilly this week.
Mary
user 9163133
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 10
I'm in SF and chilly it is! Yeah, they should be off heat and fully feathered before going outside. One thing suggested to me was when you're ready, put them outside during the day and bring them in at night without heat. I did this for about a week. It was chilly when I did this, but not as chilly as this. I think it was about 64 degrees during the day when I transitioned them. They were also 8 weeks old. But it's different for everyone depending on location and temperature. You just don't want them to get chilled and then sick.