SF Pet Chicken Meetup Group Message Board › Raccoons and Chickens

Raccoons and Chickens

A former member
Post #: 1
I am thinking about getting chickens and doing some research but a racoon is visiting our yard frequently and is welcome to do so.

We probably will get the Omlet Eglu Classic, so I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience how raccoon-safe the Eglu is ? Chickens would be kept inside the eglu, not in the run, at night.

Thanks in advance
Annette
Harold C.
HaroldC
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 11
Annette, one or more raccoons visit our backyard almost nightly, so I make sure my chickens are safely in their coop and the door is closed. They go to bed on their own, so all I need to do is go out and close their door. Hopefully, the Omlet Eglu Classic (whatever that is) is secure and closable enough to keep our the raccoons.
I've also put building blocks around the edges where there is dirt under the wall since skunks and possums have an easy time digging under walls if there's nothing in their way.
A former member
Post #: 2
Harold - thanks for replying. An Eglu classic is a pre-made chicken "coop" entirely from plastic and recommended for starters. We dont have a coop and only a small yard. Here a link to their product: http://www.omlet.co.u...­ Classic
It's fox safe and apparently withstood a bobcat attack, but raccoons are so much more nimble, that I wanted to find out if any eglu owner has experience with it: Can a racoon open the door or eggport ?
swimmy44
user 8840526
Oakland, CA
Post #: 25
Racoons can get into almost anything including insert their paws/claws through heavy duty turkey wire and rip chickens apart and bring them back through the wire enclosure in pieces, should they be roosting close to the edge. This has happened to my birds in the past. I have seen racoons rip off a metal corrogated roof to get through to the birds inside. I recommend heavy duty wood for the coop where they would be locked in at night, wire over any windows that may be screened, and heavy wire, not chicken wire for fencing.