|Sent on:||Thursday, October 31, 2013 8:32 AM|
Recently Dan, who founded this group in July of 2013, decided to step aside as the Organizer and sponsor due to family and health concerns that had a big impact on his ability to participate. Just when it seemed all was lost, Scott (AKA William) stepped up to save the day and keep this group alive. The cost to maintain a Meetup group is about $20 per month and it speaks volumes about Scott's enthusiasm to volunteer to foot the bill. Most of you probably haven't met Scott yet but I imagine you eventually will as I understand he will be participating in some of our rides. At 6'10" he will be easy to spot. If you meet him on one of our rides, please take a moment to thank him. Keep in mind that your participation (not your $) is what this group needs right now to thrive.
I volunteered for and was recently granted Co-Organizer status which will allow me to perform administrative tasks for the group. I am not an expert (yet) in the workings of Meetup group administration but I will be implementing/trying some changes, some of which I want to communicate to you all.
1. Change in the group's name from Tri-Valley Bent Riders to Bay Area Recumbent Cyclists. Our group's membership is already primarily outside of the Tri-Valley area and it seems logical to me to have the group name reflect the distribution of the membership. I also felt that having the entire word "recumbent" in the group name would result in more people finding our group. In addition to the name change, the URL (web address) for this group has changed to: http://www.meetup.com/SFBARC (BARC didn't meet the six-character requirement)
2. The monthly ride will move to the last SATURDAY of each month starting in December. This could change back to Sunday if participation falls or the majority speaks up to say it should be Sunday.
3. The monthly ride starting time for the months of December - February will change to 10:00 AM. March thru November will remain 9:30 AM
4.The monthly ride is going to alternate locations. Instead of always being on the Iron Horse Trail, the plan is to have it on a different trail each month. The idea here is to have the monthly ride occasionally be close to home for most everyone. The locations with higher attendance/participation are to be favored. The location for a following month's ride will be determined at the beginning of each monthly ride. Some of the locations may include:
- Iron Horse/Contra Costa Canal Trails (Dublin-Martinez)
- Alameda Creek/Coyote Hills Trails (Fremont-SF Bay)
- SF Bay Trail (Emeryville-Point Richmond)
- Coyote Creek Trail (San Jose-Morgan Hill)
- Guadalupe River Trail (San Jose)
- Arroyo Mocho/Del Valle Trails (Livermore-Pleasanton)
- Marsh Creek Trail (Oakley-Brentwood)
- Stevens Creek/Shoreline Trails (Mountain View)
Other trails may be added depending on participant input and suitability for the monthly ride which will generally have the largest turnout with the largest mix of machines and capabilities.
Your suggestions and input are valued and influential. You may contact me through this group's messaging feature or post your suggestions at: http://www.meetup.com/SFBARC/messages/boards/thread/36603622
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Russell ([address removed]) from Bay Area Recumbent Cyclists.
To learn more about Russell, visit his/her member profile
To report abuse or block this person, please click here
To unsubscribe from special announcements from your Organizer(s), click here
Meetup, POB 4668 #37895 NY NY USA 10163 | [address removed]