align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Bay Area Recumbent Cyclists Message Board › Members can schedule meetups!

Members can schedule meetups!

Scott
Havoc70
Group Organizer
Vallejo, CA
Greetings!
I'm trying a change to the announce policy for new meet-ups.  The previous policy was that suggested rides were announced to the group when 3 people RSVP'd for them.  However, since I'd like for all members to feel free to suggest rides and get them scheduled, I relaxed that restriction.
Now when a member suggests a ride, it will be immediately posted, and you may choose to "announce" it to the group (sends e-mail to subscribed members).
Please keep in mind the BARC Monthly Ride and avoid scheduling a ride on that day (the last Saturday of the month).
So if there's a ride you'd like to plan, please feel free to!
Russell
user 103595452
Livermore, CA
Post #: 21
Guide to Creating and Conducting a BARC Event (Ride)

Bay Area Recumbent Cyclists (BARC) members can create/post an event (a ride) by clicking on the “Schedule a New Meetup” link on the group's home page: http://www.meetup.com...­.

If you have any questions after reading this post in its entirety, feel free to contact Russell, which you can do through the group’s messaging (by going to a member profile).

Some general guidelines:
• The sooner you post the ride in advance the better. While it is OK to post a ride with only a few days notice, you will generally get a better turnout with more advance notice
• Before you create an event, check our ride calendar: http://www.meetup.com...­ to see whether another ride has already been scheduled. It is absolutely OK to schedule a ride on a date when one is already scheduled—especially so if the ride you are posting will appeal to a different group of riders
• If you post a ride without any official organizer status, one of the group organizers will assign you to be the “Event Host” and ride leader. You will be able to edit the event.
• If you have to make any significant change(s) to an event (e.g. start time, cancellation, etc.) please update the RSVP-Yes’ers using the messaging function available to an Event Host.

Potential attendees generally need to know:
• Where will we meet?
• When will we meet?
• How many miles is the ride?
• Is the route on roads? Bike paths? Mixed?
• Is there climbing/hills?

Potential attendees generally need to have an idea of the following:
• What is the planned route? It can be helpful (though not necessary) to map the route out on an online website like “mapmyride.com” or “ridewithgps.com” and include a link to the planned route in the ride details
• Can I keep up? A brief statement of expected effort level or pace and/or level of ability required will usually suffice
• If I fall behind will people wait so I don’t miss a turn? In other words, are there regroups?
• Are there any breaks or stops planned?

On the day of the ride, just before rolling out, it may be good to go over:
• Planned regroup stops
• Known restroom location(s)
• What to do if someone were to lose contact with the group. Consider enlisting the help of another rider who knows the route to either lead the way for others to follow or ride in the back to make sure no one makes a wrong turn