addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

SF Bay Area Large Format Photography Group Message Board › Darkroom Printing Lessons ?

Darkroom Printing Lessons ?

A former member
Post #: 1
Thinking of doing Platinum printing class starting starting Nov 21. No prerecs.
Mark
user 115677812
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 3
I didn't see this last year or maybe I was a member yet. Any addition meetup for learning darkroom techniques?
Mark
user 2818249
San Jose, CA
Post #: 23
I'm curious. There are over 120 members of this meetup. How many of us have darkrooms - and how extensive and well equipped are those darkrooms. I had always assumed that a darkroom was almost a necessity to do LF work, but in talking to some other folks, it looks like some people are having film processed at a lab, and possibly even having the film scanned so that there is no need to do darkroom work at all.

One of the things that I have been dabbling in lately is Cyanotype, which is a printing process that you can do without a darkroom. The prints are contact prints, so they come out the same size as your negatives (4x5 in my case), and you can use them as small prints, postcards or whatever. Would there be interest in a Cyanotype workshop where you could learn the process and make some prints?
Emanuel V.
user 195523810
Napa, CA
Post #: 1
Mark,....you can check out my darkroom at www.northbaysilverlab.com. I am set up to do mural printing up to 4x5 negs. (wall mounted Omega D5XL chassis with a Oriental Cold light, closed loop diffusion head). So if you want to print big silver prints....I have the space to do it, up to 38x48 inch prints. I have six 40x50 stainless steel sinks....but at that print size, the paper will expand almost 2 inches in length when wet. Plenty of print drying racks also. You can make up to 12 mural silver prints in one long printing session each day.