The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › Short Stories

Short Stories

Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 399
I'm starting this thread as a place to share online short stories (fantasy or science fiction) that you think are worth reading. Specifically, these are meant to be links to stories that can be read online for free, rather than suggestions of stories in books or collections (those kind of recommendations can be posted under Recommendations for fun books/series).

I'll start off with one I stumbled upon accidentally. After the Dragon, by Sarah Monette (author of the Doctrine of Labyrinths quadrilogy—the first book is Mélusine) is one that I found to be surprisingly powerful. It's a story about what happens to a hero after a victory, but for anyone that's ever had to recover from any accident or tragedy (or known someone who did), it will probably ring true.
Anna
Anna_Y
Springfield, VA
Post #: 31
The Last Question by Isaac Asimov

http://www.multivax.c...­
Anna
Anna_Y
Springfield, VA
Post #: 32
Firstborn by Brandon Sanderson

http://www.tor.com/st...­
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 416
This was a pretty good urban fantasy short story I ran into:

The Rook by Melinda Snodgrass (part of Fort Freak, the newest of George R. R. Martin's Wild Cards anthologies)
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 423
One of the most famous science fiction novellas of all time, "Who Goes There" by John W. Campbell, Jr. (better known as editor of Astounding Science Fiction and a pivotal figure behind the Golden Age of SF) was the inspiration for the movies "The Thing from Another World (1951) and John Carpenter's "The Thing" (1982).

You can read or download the full text here.
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 426
"The Lunatics" by Kim Stanley Robinson

This dystopian science fiction short story is about the hellish plight of miners on the moon. Written in 1988 by Kim Stanley Robinson (author of the Mars trilogy - Red Mars was our March 2011 Sci-Fi selection), it blends philosophy and hard science without sacrificing an engaging storyline. Enjoy!

Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 433
"Going Native" by Kristine Kathryn Rusch

Everyone wants the ability to teleport from one place to another in an instant. But what happens if something goes wrong? And what happens if the government refuses to listen? A journalist on assignment visits a convention held by a fringe group who believes that teleportation has changed them—and he’s becoming convinced they’re right.

Finalist for the Best Fiction Maggie Award given by the Western Publications Association.

Caroline C.
user 12462145
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 1
Ponies by Kij Johnson. It's a Hugo nominee this year, it's very short, and it gave me goosebumps.

I am apparently a big Kij Johnson fan, because he also wrote 26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss, which was my favorite Hugo nominee short story a few years ago.

I found both stories really engaging emotionally. Ponies is somewhat horrifying, and 26 Monkeys is actually really sweet.
Vijay
Vijay82
Group Organizer
Fairfax, VA
Post #: 451
Since we'll be reading him next month, here's "The Things that Make Me Weak and Strange Get Engineered Away" by Cory Doctorow, a finalist for the 2009 Locus Award or Best Novelette.

@Caroline: Loved "26 Monkeys", still rather traumatized by "Ponies".
Vernieda
verniedabv
Springfield, VA
Post #: 18
"Ponies" was such a traumatic story!