Silly Nerdy Geeks Message Board › What's everyone watching?

What's everyone watching?

Priyam G.
user 11434334
Wichita, KS
Post #: 3
Simple:

Currently I'm watching Fairy Tail and Kill la Kill... also eventually I'll finish Fullmetal Brotherhood.
I definitely recommend all 3 for anyone who loves action.

Fairy Tail is so similar to Naruto/One Peice, but it's pretty funny IMO. Good music! Think Wizards instead of Ninjas and this is Fairy Tail.

Kill la Kill is insane over-the-top everything! Insane action/insane costumes/insane plot. I like this. They setup the main antagonist from the first episode and it becomes a revenge/boss battle tale.

Full Metal Brotherhood: Great plot, great action, great music, great English VO. To me Full Metal is a pretty philosophical anime and always makes me think of worldy things.
Kristen S.
user 106821482
Wichita, KS
Post #: 3
Great descriptions, Priyam! I definitely want to watch Brotherhood and to finish Fairy Tale.

Currently gaming has been taking most of my attention. I just finished the Uncharted series and I've been playing the crap out of my 3DS that I got for Christmas - Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, New Super Mario Bros, and Mario Kart 7 so far.

I started Okami-san and Her Seven Companions recently. It is a romance comedy parodying fairy tales such as Little Red Riding Hood, etc. Ryoko Okami is a spunky tomboyish high school girl who is very proficient at fighting and is a member of a "trading" club called Otogi High School Bank. She and the other members of the club fix problems for students (or "clients") in exchange for the student's assistance with a different problem at a later date. So effectively it is like a loan institute for solved problems that you have to repay eventually. Otogi Bank is able to solve any problem and will go to any lengths to do so, often leading the members to danger.

I also need to finish Samurai 7 which I believe is based on the film Seven Samurai. Basically the story is centered on a village named Kanna where every year during harvest, a group of bandits come and steal almost all of the rice. The bandits also start taking women and children in addition to rice. So the leader of the village sends a few people to look for Samurai for hire that will accept rice as payment as the village has no money. It's been a while since I started it but I enjoyed the first few episodes or so.
Kristen S.
user 106821482
Wichita, KS
Post #: 4
I guess no one else wants to participate in this thread :-(
A former member
Post #: 41
Nobody hardly ever participates in discussions...
May
user 121165562
Kansas City, MO
Post #: 1
It's more of me not posting before because I'm lazy/watching a ton of stuff/knew I'd write too much. But anywho, lately I've really been into sports anime. To name a few:

Yowamushi Pedal (bicycle racing)
Kuroko no Basket (basketball)
Diamond no Ace (baseball)
Can't wait for Haikyuu!! (volleyball) in the spring!

Several other titles that I'm currently watching and enjoy:

Uchuu Kyoudai - It's amazing and you should watch it and be happy. To summarize terribly, two brothers dream of becoming astronauts. Eventually one of them achieves their dream while the other... not so much. BUT! he eventually ends up on the path to achieving his dream and this series chronicles that.

Samurai Flamenco - A young man decides to become a superhero despite not having any special abilities, etc. It's a parody/homage to the superhero genre. Great characterization, starts off very fun. As a warning, there's a shift in the tone of the series after the first 6 or so episodes. It's quite large and jarring and could be a turnoff.

Bakemonogatari - High school student gets attacked by a vampire, eventually goes on to get involved with several girls with supernatural afflictions caused by gods, ghosts, myths, etc. It's quite eccentric with its fast-paced, verbally driven storytelling and stylistic, experimental visual style. So far for me it has been intriguing, thought-provoking, and filled with amazing dialogue delivered by engaging and complex characters.

It's produced by Studio SHAFT and similar in style to Arakawa Under the Bridge and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei (but even more extreme) so if you you like/dislike those your opinion of Bakemonogatari might be similar. There is a LOT of dialogue and it's slow in a sense but if you fancy yourself open-minded, patient, attentive, and enjoy subtlety and challenges, you could possibly find it enjoyable!
Priyam G.
user 11434334
Wichita, KS
Post #: 4
hmm. Samurai Flamenco is not what I thought it was going to be. Up until I read your description I ALWAYS thought it had said Samurai Flamingo.. and it was about a flamingo who trained to be a Samurai and fought other animals with katanas. I still might check it out with this new revelation.
Kristen S.
user 106821482
Wichita, KS
Post #: 5
The plot of Samurai Flamenco sounds a lot like Kickass.
Scott F.
user 97229432
Wichita, KS
Post #: 2
Well, kind of late to this parade but lately I have just finished Eureka 7 and it's movie.

Plot details: The story concerns Renton Thurston, a 14-year old boy leading an uneventful life with his grandfather after losing his father (who was involved in narrowly averting a planetwide catastrophe) and sister (who set out to look for her father, and who Renton regards as a mother figure). His life is changed forever, however, when he meets and falls for Eureka, a mysterious LFO pilot who serves in Gekkostate, an anti-military group under the guise of a counter-cultural commune. The rest of the series focuses on Renton and Eureka's growing relationship and involves general themes of love, acceptance, and the tolls of war. It also involves Sky Surfing mecha, super-intelligent alien lifeforms, evil master plans, more than a few mind screws, and more musical references than one can count.

And it was alright. It kind of fell flat toward the end. Also, the movie....don't even bother with it. The only way it is connected to the show is because the characters have the same names. It's just....ugh...

What I started watching yesterday is Psycho Pass.

Plot description: It's 2112. In this time, Japan is governed by the Sibyl System. A human's emotions and mental state are measured by a device called the Dominator, which identifies criminal intent in a person's soul and quantifies it into numbers. Anyone found exceeding a certain number is deemed a threat in need of therapy, or in extreme cases, execution. The numbers used to measure a person's soul are called "Psycho-Pass".
Hunting down those deemed a threat to society is the Public Safety Bureau. Composed of Enforcers, latent criminals whose Psycho-Pass has exceeded the acceptable level but have been granted permission to go outside to deliver justice on fellow criminals, and Inspectors who supervise them making sure they don't go too far, the pairs make sure latent criminals are not left to roam the streets.

I really enjoy this anime so far and it's been a pretty quick watch.