STL Python Message Board › Build for STL

Build for STL

Brian H.
brianhicks
Group Organizer
Saint Louis, MO
Hey all,
Last year a group put on a National Day of Civic Hacking (hackforchange.org) event at T-REx. Last year, it was a hackathon centered around improving St. Louis. This year, the central focus is still the hackathon but includes other events around the area, including 50-60 training sessions and presentations. If you know anything about civic engagement, open data, or anything else that our community does, you're invited to give a talk.  You can submit an idea at https://docs.google.c...­ . If you have any questions about the event or NDoCH in general, get in touch and I'll direct you to the right person.
While we're talking about talks, my list of potential speakers has dwindled into nothingness. If you'd like to speak at a STL Python meetup, get in touch. Here are some ideas (some would be good for NDoCH talks as well!):

• Data structures
  • Web development (Django/Flask/Pyramid/your favorite thing)
  • Embedded systems
  • How you use Python (yes you, you're more interesting than you think.)
  • Libraries (requests? yes. sqlalchemy? very yes.)
  • Networking (ZeroMQ, twisted, whatever)
  • Personal data processing (grab your stuff from fitbit and process it. Then show us how!)
  • Best practices (here's what all that PEP8 stuff means)
  • Tools (ipython, pypy, pip are all good things to know)
  • Compare to other languages

If nobody takes any of these, I may start preparing talks myself. Consider yourself warned. ;) See you all soon!
Brian Hicks