Welcome to the St. Louis Wine & Dine Meetup!
If you enjoy good food, good wine and good company, come join us as we explore wine bars, wineries, wine festivals, restaurants with excellent wine lists, and other fine food and wine purveyors in the St. Louis area.
Our 800+ members are wine enthusiasts with varying tastes and experience levels. We offer them many opportunities to meet one another and socialize as we taste new wines and revisit favorites in a variety of venues. Organizers schedule at least two events each month, providing you with all the information you need to participate, and serving as hosts at the events.
We ask that members contribute to the group by participating whenever possible, engaging others in conversation, having fun responsibly, and generally being good company.
How can you have the best possible Wine & Dine Meetup experience?
• When you join the group, please upload a photo of yourself (not an avatar, picture of your pet, etc.), write a brief introduction, and answer the profile questions. Your profile photo and input help organizers and other members connect with you. Posting a photo allows us to recognize you when you attend an event, and the information you provide helps us start conversations with you. For instance, another member may speak the same foreign language that you do, or may have moved here from the state where you grew up, or be interested in the non-profit group for which you volunteer, or live down the street from your favorite wine bar. Also, knowing your wine preferences and experience levels helps us plan events that you'll enjoy.
• Visit the Wine & Dine web page periodically and see what's on the calendar.
• Always read the event description before you RSVP for an event. You may need to know, or do, or bring something in order to participate. (Ex: buy a ticket in advance, call to reserve a seat, bring cash, bring a food item for a potluck, etc.) Don’t miss out!
• If you decide to attend an event, RSVP for it and keep your RSVP current. If your plans change, update your RSVP right away. This is important. For some events, we reserve a table, or the venue may accomodate a limited number of people, so we need an accurate headcount. It's not fair to the group or the restaurant for us to reserve a table for 20 and have only 10 people show up, or vice versa. If we reach maximum capacity and more people want to attend, they can opt to be placed on the waitlist. If someone RSVPs "yes" and then cancels, we can move someone up from the waitlist to take their place, but we need to give them at least 24 hours' notice—preferably more.
• When you arrive, if you don't see our group, ask for us. I post my photo so you know what I look like. Also, I always make a reservation—or at least notify the venue that we're coming—and check in with the staff upon arrival so they know I'm there and can point me out to you. I make it as easy as possible for members to find me, but you may need to take some initiative, too.
• Come prepared to pay for your own food and beverage, plus tax and gratuity. We usually receive separate checks, which makes it easier to sort out who owes what. In any event, each person is expected to pay for whatever he/she orders, unless two or more people arrange in advance to split a dish or a bottle of wine. Be sure to include local sales tax and at least 15% tip. (Some places assess an automatic 18% gratuity for large parties. In that case, we pay accordingly and don't quibble, so be prepared.)
• Relax and enjoy yourself. One of the primary reasons to attend one of our events—besides the wine and food—is to meet people and chat with them. We have many fun, interesting members, and conversation is usually lively. Feel free to share your thoughts, experiences, ideas, recommendations, etc. with your dinner or happy hour companions, and be a good audience when they share theirs, too.
• If you have a question or concern, bring it to me so I can address it.
St. Louis Wine & Dine Meetup is sponsored by Menuism.com, where foodies can browse reliable restaurant reviews, locations, menus, and dishes for in the St. Louis area and across the U.S. Check it out at www.menuism.com
I look forward to meeting you, dining with you, and introducing you to some excellent St. Louis food and wine purveyors and to delightful fellow wine enthusiasts.
Marlene is the Organizer of the St. Louis Wine & Dine
Meetup. She is an editor and freelance writer who has worked in the hospitality industry and enjoys sharing fine dining and wine tasting experiences with fellow foodies and wineaux.