Hello fellow surviving thrivers,
We have before us a very special opportunity.
Our beloved S&T organizer Trebs ( pronouced - TREEBS ) has been a rock steady homesteader at her own Whimsical Farms for over a decade now raising cows/pigs/sheep/goats/turkeys/chickens as well as fruits & veggies. All humane, organic and fair trade.
While on a vacation walking across Scotland, after covering about 300 miles she fell off of a mountain in the Highlands. She snapped her femur ( thigh bone ) and suffered other injuries. This has been a major blow to the wellbeing of the farm as a whole as it has set back several important projects that need attention in order to keep the farm moving forward.
This is where YOU come in. Survive and Thrive Philadelphia is coming together as we never have before to create mutually beneficial meetups that will enrich all who participate.
Here is the plan:
We will, over the next 3 Sundays -
1. erect a small greenhouse for the baby chicks
2. erect a large greenhouse for plants
3. split and stack wood to get through the Winter
4. build a simple Winter shelter for the pigs
Trebs will in turn teach us -
1. Extending Your Growing Season. You may be surprised to learn what you can plant in your backyard and what simple techniques you can use to help them grow well into Winter as well as getting a powerful head start on the Spring. Maximize the output of your family's garden and get the most amount of green goodness into them.
2. Honey !!! Did you know that folks can keep bees in an urban setting? With her seven beehives and years of apiary work Trebs is primed and ready to teach us about the plight of the honeybee and what we can do to help them while harvesting our own our sweet sugar. Honey is good for you in many different ways as a food and medicine. The entire topic will be explored in a fun and engaging way. Bring your sweet tooth.
3. The Chicken. Whether you want to keep table scrap eating pets that lay fresh eggs regularly or you want to raise meat while controlling the bugs around your home, chickens will be examined as the fine feathered friends that they are. From breed strengths and weaknesses , maximizing egg volume and health, raising chicks, harvesting/plucking/dressing the bird. We will cover most of what you need to know about this impressive animal. Trebs has already picked the rooster for that day. *GULP!*
Kids are welcome. These are fun and family friendly events. A chance to come in goodwill to work with your hands close to the Earth under the bright Sun and breathe deep of the crisp country air. A beautiful opportunity to do as your ancestors have done before you. Meeting other good hearted, like minded members is yet another benefit of this effort for all involved.
We will provide hot tea and honey, coffee with milk and sugar, vegetarian soup and a gluten free meat based soup to nourish the body.
Now the work will start promptly at 9 am.
Please feel free to come when you can.
If you need a ride or want to drive down with others, there will be a carpool/caravan leaving from the parking lot at Front and 2nd sts on Springarden st in Philadelphia. It is right next to the Springarden EL train stop for easy access by SEPTA.
The caravan will assemble at 8am sharp. Leaving at 8:15 sharp.
100 Spring Garden St
Philadelphia, PA 19123
If you are driving with us please have a full tank of gas, if you are hitching a ride please be willing to make a modest donation toward the gasoline. Also be sure to keep Fernando's number in your phone in case of trouble.
Wear layers of warm, tough clothes. Boots and gloves if you have them.
We will need as many hands as possible to make it light work. Please consider this opportunity seriously as it is truly a unique one.
Peace be with you.