Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › New Meetup: Feb Book Club: The Abacus and the Cross

New Meetup: Feb Book Club: The Abacus and the Cross

Bakari
user 2418735
Elk Grove, CA
Please note: I called Luigi's Pizza and they said their meeting room is basically for larger groups—like 40 people. They have tables where we can meet, but he said it can get kinda of noisy. He said we’re welcome to drop in on Thursday night and check it out. I believe the address is: 1050 20th St Downtown.

Are there any more suggestions for a meeting place? Seems like mid-town is best.

Bakari

Announcing a new Meetup for Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN)!

What: Feb Book Club: The Abacus and the Cross

When: Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:00 PM

Where: (A location has not been chosen yet.)

I’m pleased to announce that the next book discussion will be based on The Abacus and the Cross: The Story of the Pope Who Brought the Light of Science to the Dark Ages, Nancy Marie Brown

“The Abacus and the Cross tells the fascinating, little known story of the ‘Scientist-Pope’ Sylvester II (Gerbert of Aurillac), whom older writers long considered a practitioner of the Black Arts. In this vividly presented, scrupulously researched biography, Nancy Marie Brown shows how a few open-minded intellectuals illuminated the Dark Ages by importing scientific knowledge and methods into Christian Europe from Muslim Spain. Brown’s descriptions of Gerbert’s ‘magical’ instruments, the abacus, celestial spheres, and astrolabe, as well as of his worship of a mathematically-inspired Creator, make important contributions to the history of medieval science.”

328pgs
Kindle Edition: $15.37
Hardcover: $18.45
Audible Audio: $17.21

RSVP to this Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com...­
Linda B.
BreLinda
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
I live above an empty store front that could be used for meet-up. Location is in North Oak Park. SE corner of 35th St. & 4th Ave., a short block south of the Old Soul Coffee Shop on Broadway & 35th St.
Rachael
Rachael_H
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 116
Linda, We are always looking for locations to host events. Does this apply for meetups besides the book club? I'll send you an email to ask questions and get some more info. :) (Even if it's only for the book club that's still awesome).