addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Congressional resolution promoting display of “In God We Trust” in public sc

Congressional resolution promoting display of “In God We Trust” in public schools

Rachael
Rachael_H
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 120
Here's a press release by AU:
Americans United Criticizes Divisive Congressional Resolution Promoting Display of ‘In God We Trust’
House Leaders Should Address The Nation’s Pressing Problems And Leave Religious Issues Alone, Says AU’s Lynn

March 16, 2011

Congressional action on a resolution promoting display of “In God We Trust” in public schools and other public buildings is divisive and a diversion from pressing national concerns, according to Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

The House Committee on the Judiciary is scheduled to vote March 17 on H. Con. Res. 13, a measure “reaffirming” In God We Trust as the national motto and encouraging its display in all public buildings, including public schools.

Said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, Americans United executive director, “This is divisive and a diversion from important national issues. No wonder public opinion of Congress is so low. We face a dire economic situation, the threat of a government shut-down and world instability, and House members are wasting time on symbolic religious issues.

“Millions of Americans believe in God and millions do not,” Lynn continued. “I doubt if any of them will make their decision about religious belief based on a politician’s non-binding resolution.”
Read the full press release at www.au.org
Take action! Tell Your Representatives to Protect Religious Liberty!
Linda B.
BreLinda
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 5
The motto selected to adorn the Great Seal of the United States was chosen by a committee appointed by Congress on July 4, 1776. It was & is E PLURIBUS UNUM. The sentiment behind the original motto was the exact opposite of the divisive intent of the motto proposed in the resolution pushed by members of the present Congress. We Americans are one people from many places & many cultures joined together in a new nation.
Roger G
RogerG15
Elk Grove, CA
Post #: 2
In the case of Mike Newdow where he is trying to remove "In God We Trust" from money and the Pledge of Allegiance, The Supreme Court recently stated that In God We Trust is a political statement rather than a religious one. I am still trying to get my mind around that and find even a modicum of reason in the statement.
Wendy N.
user 7630796
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
The wall of separation between church and state is a myth. We live in a culture that is thoroughly permeated by Christianity, and the courts echo the views of the masses.
Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 84
I remember, in Soviet grammar books as well as most text books, there was an opening page with a picture of Stalin with the caption, "Leader of the Soviet Union and the World." I feel as oppressed by "In God We Trust" as well as "Under God" as I would such a pic of a dictator!

I also looked into the tagline at the end of every presidential speech or message: "and God bless America." It was begun when Reagan gave his nominiation acceptance speech at the Republican Convention. Now, every president does this!

No wonder people "believe" that teh US is a "Xtian" nation! Sick! Sick! Sick!