addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Secular funeral services in Sac?

Secular funeral services in Sac?

Don B.
user 10705309
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
I'm wondering if anyone (there must be someone) in the group has dealt with planning a secular funeral service in the Sacramento area — pre-planning, facilities, cremation / burial, ceremony format, professional Celebrants, etc.?

My web searches have not turned up much helpful info.

(BTW, there is thankfully no immediate need, I'm just doing some research and thought others might find this helpful as well)
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 124
Hello! It's always good to plan ahead, especially with end-of-life services. There are a lot of options of the secular variety.

I would suggest you get in touch with the Sacramento chapter of the American Humanist Association, called HAGSA. They have a formal secular chaplaincy program that can assist you with all of those things and more.
Dione
user 20390561
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
Here is just some info you might be interested in. As far as making arrangements for the body I am

personally registered with Biogift Anatomical Inc. or www.biogift.org for more info. This way you can make a

gift of yourself to further education and science. It is wonderful because all your family or friends have to do

is make the call. The company comes and "collects" you. Then after about maybe a month when the doctors

or institution is finished they return the body to the family cremated. I believe the only thing you actually pay

for is a copy of the death certificate which is about $35. I love it because you are not only helping medical

advancements but your family has no burden to deal with. Then if you are looking for a type of ceremony or

celebration your family can do what they please without worrying about the technical arrangements for

yourself.

Wendy
user 9892369
San Ramon, CA
Post #: 299
When I had to take care of services for a family member in another state, the local Ethical Culture Society was wonderful. We rented the space (which had a piano and lectern and attached kitchen plus a needed projector and screen), and I basically designed and conducted the service myself.