addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › need suggestions for how to deal with government Xmas celebration

need suggestions for how to deal with government Xmas celebration

Janet T
user 8714228
Loomis, CA
Post #: 90
Thanks, David! I have been corresponding with the attorney, and in fact just got a response from her yesterday. She was cc'ing the town manager about the fact that posters around town had not been removed as she had ordered. Turns out the mayor had told the town clerk to remove the posters, whose job it is to do such things, and this woman is a Mormon who sees no problem with the event. The clerk told the mayor (who should never have left the task with her alone, as we all know this woman's religious devotion) that years ago the town just leased our property to the church for a few hours to get around the law! Problem solved, right? At that point, the mayor should have notified the manager and attorney to take care of it, but we've had a bigger, more urgent issue to deal with in town. She got distracted. She is definitely not religious and is in our corner on this one.
A positive detail...when the mayor told the citizen who had been tasked with setting up the event that it would have to be changed, the woman said she had no problem with it.

Our fellow FAN Julie is not feeling well and may not be able to attend.

If any SC students (preferably Loomis residents) would like to attend just in case, the item is further down the agenda (www.loomis.ca.gov), so no idea when it will be heard. The above-mentioned urgent issue is earlier on the agenda, and the tea partiers will be out in force for that one. I'm guessing the tree lighting never made it to their radar with all the hullabaloo surrounding their Mormon council candidate.

If the tree lighting does become iffy, which I doubt because 3 of the 5 council members are pretty agnostic if not atheist, I will stand up and ask for equal time for HumanLight. I'll throw in asking local Buddhists and Muslims if they would like to participate. That should scare the bejeepers out of them. I'm a Planning Commissioner, and they all know not to take me lightly. :) I don't have a video camera though, and don't want to antagonize them without seeing a need to do so.
Janet T
user 8714228
Loomis, CA
Post #: 91
Okay, y'all, time for action. The aforementioned Mormon town clerk apparently made the clarion call to fellow believers, as they were at the meeting to complain about taking Christmas out of Loomis. The town attorney was incredibly wishy washy, at one point saying he didn't want to be asked questions about it because he didn't want to give answers! There is now going to be a "non-religious puppet show put on by a church" on the official program, and who knows what else will show up. I told the attorney that I would have people there from church/state separation groups video taping the event to ensure the establishment clause is respected. They are afraid of lawsuits, and obviously taped evidence would be critical. So...I need one or two folks with cameras that can take good video outside with minimal lighting. It's on Sat. Dec. 1, early evening, at the Loomis train depot, usually lasts only an hour or so. There will be hot cider and cookies. :) Any Sierra College students want to take this on? Just mingle with the crowd while filming?
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 167
Okay, y'all, time for action.

Janet, I've created an event to rally SacFAN members to support a secular Loomis.

http://www.meetup.com...­

Before I send it out to the entire membership, please review and let me know what needs to be changed or added. I like adding as many details as we can.

If you can get me a copy of the program or anything else, that would help. Even if it's a flyer for the event. Whatever you have.

Can you suggest a good place to meet for dinner (or dessert) right next to the Train Depot?
Janet T
user 8714228
Loomis, CA
Post #: 92
I posted a comment on the meetup. I'll provide more details as soon as I know them. I haven't seen any revised flyers up yet. I suggested a nearby restaurant too for dinner after. Thanks, David!