Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Which provides a better foundation for civil society: Secular Humanism or Ch

Which provides a better foundation for civil society: Secular Humanism or Chrisitanity

Michael A T.
user 110889332
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
When: Sat. Oct. 12 at 5pm
What: Professor, author, and Secular Humanist advocate Phil Zuckerman from Pitzer College is going head-to-head with author and devout Christian to answer this very question. Though the event is at Adventure Christian Church in Roseville, each side will have equal opportunity to voice their views. Come show your support and bring your questions.
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 180
Unfortunately this event conflicts with Sacramento Freethought Day, but it certainly sounds like a great debate.

I know Phil and he's a very powerful, and fun speaker. I don't expect him to lose.
Janet T
user 8714228
Loomis, CA
Post #: 101
Why was it canceled as a meetup? I'll be going after Freethought Day, and hope others will as well. We can have both. We need to be represented at this deal.
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 181
It wasn't. It was posted twice accidentally, and one of them was then removed.

Here's the original one that is still up:
http://www.meetup.com...­
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 90
I viewed the debate off the Church web site. I liked it a lot. The rebuttel I also watched for awhile. I recommend watching it also.

I have had conversations with several people in the larger community of Athiests Freethinkers, and other skeptical/Scientific people and was surprised that many more did not know about this series of events. My memory is that the following happened.

The Debate was schedualed for the same day and Freethought Day.

Later in the week, I attended the apologetics/debate group and some discussion happened there to make me aware that my inability to view the debate was being addressed by several leading activists. I jumped into FB and found links to other news sources and found lots of pissed off Humanists and others that wanted the Debate available. This was a big deal and many did not know what was going on.

I was personally committed to protesting by picketing the Adventure Church the next Sunday. With so much traffic on the subject, Adventure Church recognized that they had a PR Problem that was about to get worse. To keep the damage low and keep the church members from hearing more about it and their community seeing it in the news, they choose to put it back up and available. I hope that someone is recording that video and the rebuttal so that we have it as evidence.

As we know, religions have a way of distorting what was said and will contort the meanings of things to fit their world view. The Rebuttal had many examples of this.

I would love to view this again with several people to Learn from it. Any buddy up for that?

The other possibility is that members of the church prayed about it, and the minister got a message from God on how to deal with the atheists. Proof that God is wise.