addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › No Greater Joy Ministries- psychos!!!

No Greater Joy Ministries- psychos!!!

A former member
Post #: 1
I recently stumbled across a blog describing the absurb parenting views of these of these supposed "good christians" and I feel this is the perfect example of how christianity is violent and horrible belief system! These people believe the abuse they inflict on their children is "gods way" and they have found people insane enough to follow their advice, they even sell parenting books!!!?! These people actually suggest spanking children as young as infants for crying! And say a good spanking "leaves a child breathless and unable to complain" They also suggest using a flexible switch on a 7 month old baby that cries at bedtime. Check out their website: http://www.nogreaterj...­
A former member
Post #: 279
As a mother-to-be in just a few months this makes me mad and terribly sad. People with reasoning and education would call that treatment child abuse. I think those "christian" parents should pick on someone their own size that could leave them breathless!

While we are on the subject of violence from christian extremists, a couple of very interesting articles were emailed to me about these Left Behind books. These people are so scary and yet right-wing, conservative christians want us to be afraid of Muslims! And why is it we never see left-wing or atheist militia groups?- I think that says something.

Here is an example paragraph of the article-

"That is the sophisticated language and appeal of America’s all-time best selling adult novels celebrating the ethnic cleansing of non-Christians at the hands of Christ. If a Muslim were to write an Islamic version of the last book in the Left Behind series, Glorious Appearing, and publish it across the Middle East, Americans would go beserk. Yet tens of millions of Christians eagerly await and celebrate an End Time when everyone who disagrees with them will be murdered in ways that make Islamic beheading look like a bridal shower. Jesus -- who apparently has a much nastier streak than we have been led to believe -- merely speaks and "the bodies of the enemy are ripped wide open down the middle." In the book Christians have to drive carefully to avoid "hitting splayed and filleted corpses of men and women and horses" Even as the riders’ tongues are melting in their mouths and they are being wide open gutted by God’s own hand, the poor damned horses are getting the same treatment. Sort of a divinely inspired version of "Fuck you and the horse you rode in on."

The Evangelical "Mainstream" Insanity Behind the Michigan "End Times" Militia
http://www.huffington...­

Deer Hunting with Jesus (this was written before the Obama election)
http://www.joebageant...­
A former member
Post #: 3
"And why is it we never see left-wing or atheist militia groups?- I think that says something."

It'd be more precise to say we don't see liberal or humanist militia groups - "left wing" is commonly taken to encompass communism as well as social democracy and simple respect for individual rights and dignity, and while various communist groups behave as if Dear Leader were a god, they don't actually call him one.

The point is well taken, though.
Mark
Markcus
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 5
People doing unethical things in the name of religion? Unheard of! *end sarcasm* serious note, that's pretty disturbing. What is even more disturbing is that if there were challenged by CPS there is nothing they could do because it is in the realm of religious beliefs and practices and protected by the First Amendment.
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 55
Camilla and Shanon,

I get to some things a bit late some times, but I am repeatedly amazed by the wisdom buried in the Discussion listings of FAN.

Thank you for posting your comments and the links. I visited them and read some of the "Child Training" and the first article that Camilla posted. The second I will get back to. This article was very up front. One of the best that I have been referred to by the post on the FAN lists. I was also very disturbed by what I read. I'll get over it and be better informed about the forces that inhibit compassionate attitudes and inspire some very insane behavior that I see in the world today.

It is nice to know that you are aware of these life alienating beliefs and the organized proponents that propagate this antisocial thinking. No wonder the right is so strong and effective.

And to counter that force is the light of day. Posting and linking this information helps educate us all.
All I have to do is be part of the solution. First becoming aware and then meeting the ignorance with education and compassion for those that have been manipulated and abused.

I will look forward to reading more of your posts when I see them.

optimistically,

David Jacobs
Jamie W.
user 10540195
Shingle Springs, CA
Post #: 2
In my walk (run) away from Christianity, a related area I could not see reason in, ate at me. I have a three year old boy, and before my divorce I had a pre-teen step-daughter. I found a great resource on parenting called "Love and Logic." In my reading I grew to feel more confident in how to go about this parenting thing. The more I felt I grasped the role of genuine empathy and how it serves a good parent as opposed to fear tactics, coercion, and violence. The more I realized I was a better parent than the God of the bible. I always struggled with the idea of a God who held hell over his followers heads, and the folks that would go there only because they were dealt a hand of absent or unloving parents fostering a nest for heathens (let alone being born into the wrong religion.) How could I follow a God who did not embody effective modeling of how to guide confident, compassionate, and tolerant subjects. I was wiser than God? Christian parents who lack good parenting skills are only encouraged to continue by the example of the fear (and brutal) based approach of the bible. I was acquainted with a nationally known progressive Rabbi (Mrs. Clintons spiritual adviser) and I asked him why God did what he and I found to be barbaric. He said that the oversimplified version was that Yahweh was a young God and hadn't grown into the now wiser version. Really? I am only 37 and while I have much to learn I am surely much more refined than the biblical God. Maybe he has a low I.Q. or learning disability? Should we show him empathy?
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 56
Good analogy,

And I can see how this would bring up the question of God having a low IQ. The old God image would have been seen as the keeper of the truth and the source of answers and guidance. Sort of the how to guru.

I am glad to see that a father is looking to his empathetic skills to relate to his child. Your Child has more wisdom than many Adults do. Is Love and Logic a book? or what?

A simplified God, for simplified people. An authoritarian God for those that need others to think and make decisions for them. I have empathy for those that have not been nurtured to grow their self love and self reliance. The young God needs to develop better mentoring skills. Maybe our nation needs to wake up to our immaturity. We do not have the answers. Our democracy is not working. The intelligent and successful of our society are covering their asses. They may be able to pilfer the system long enough to create security for themselves, but they have not understood their responsibility to civil society. I am guessing that this all relates to their childhoods. Parents obsessed with money and social status and not as much attention to the child's more basic needs. I am guessing a parent that shows attentiveness to a child's emotional expressions validates the child's self expression. That is the child's design and hopefully the parents concern. If the Adult Parent got that when they were a child, then the child will learn empathetic skills. The Parents empathetic skill will also be increased by having the child in there lives.

Now some people might say that babies were designed(Genetic inheritance) to attract the loving attention of adults. I think the point is that the source of caring and nurturing comes from the parent or care giver. The attraction may be there, but the bond comes from intimacy and contact. Learning to be a human being is a life long task. We all have a lot still to do. Or there may be no future for any children.

Where are you on your journey?

Dave