Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › The new Xtian film movement here and the anti-gay strategem in Uganda

The new Xtian film movement here and the anti-gay strategem in Uganda

Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 46
Well, I am truly disturbed today after reading two articles in "Religion Dispatches" (www.religiondispatches.org). This is a great ezine that deals with more religious issues as well as social and cultural problems that are brought about by religion (including atheists). They have great contributors. I have mentioned this ezine before and hope that you, too, can become a regular reader. It keeps me up with the pulse of religion in the US as well as in other parts of the world.

The first article I read, 'Replacing Godless Hollywood with Bible-Based "Cultural Dominion'." is about a film festial in San Antonio next week and put on by Vision Forum, the Reconstructionist, Christian patriarchal homeschooling organization. They want things to be really retro in America: only men vote, wives are submissive, gender roles are rigidly taught and enforced, men arrange all marriages, everything is to glorify God. I really wonder if any of the films are at all interesting. They are not supposed to represent anything outside of being fodder for a moral. Adultery is even kissing someone when young as this is done outside of marriage. What a deal, huh? I hope that you will read the article (as well as the numerous links). It is located at:

http://www.religiondi...­

The second article is about how American evangelical s and the religous right have influenced the politics of Uganda toward the LGBT community there. Basically, one of the people from whom the Ugandans have received advice and assistance in dealing with the "gay" issue there, is Scott Lively. He actually tours the US speaking about how being gay and being a Nazi are basically the same. To me, the equation is more than difficult to prove; however, this guy believes that there is a "gay agenda" to take over any nation that they can! So, he goes over to Uganda, where there is already a huge anti-gay element and tells them that gays are planning on taking over the world and that Uganda has to protect themselves now. Well, what is the law? Any person who is found to be "gay" will be permanently imprisoned or executed. Scott Lively calls this proposed legislation "a good start." Can you believe this? So there is this person in Uganda who was born intersexed (Kaggwa) who also won a prize for protecting gays in Uganda and he tells the story about what is going on there. I learned about this over a year ago, at the time that the legislation was drafted and proposed to the Ugandan parliament. However, currently, the legislation has been stalled. I hope it never goes anywhere;however, where else can one express the love of the holy spirit so openly and freely while also advancing this draconian legislation? The story is at:

http://www.religiondi...­

I hope that you will not only read these two articles but will also subcribe (it is free). It is always a good source for information that is "rational" and all that. Sometimes, the writers are not too great in some of their writing as it can look like it was not proofread and such. This is more rare these days fortunately; however, you may run into some poorly, unclearly written pieces about which you will want to write to the author as well as the editors in order to complain. I do and they are really good about it.

Take care.

Anyse
A former member
Post #: 6
Anybody that believes that "the bible" is the word of some bearded man dressed in a robe, is not a member of Mensa.
David S.
user 9666563
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 17
Great website Anyse, ty.