Sacramento Valley Permaculture Guild Message Board › March against Monsanto

March against Monsanto

Robert C.
RobertCharland
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 17
Greetings
I have proposed a meet-up where we join people from around the world in apposing Monsanto and their destructive products. It will be held on May 25th at the State capital, north steps. I understand that this is exactly at the same time as another scheduled meet-up. I had hoped that the other meet-up could be re-sheduled to make way for this very important event which is being coordinated with people all around the globe so cannot be re-scheduled. This would be a milestone for this group to come out and take part in an action concerning an issue that has so many implications for anyone concerned about Permaculture. I have proposed the meet-up but received a message saying that we need two more RSVP's before it is presented to the group. I am sure that I am not the only one who is passionate about this situation and is willing to devote some of my time. I have heard a lot of rhetoric concerning GMO foods emanating from this group. I guess all I can say is you have no right to complain about it if you are not willing to do something about it. Do we really believe in these principles or are we just posing for the cam? One thing is certain; If you are apposed to something powerful and you join up with others who feel the same way then you have power. If you cower at home and just complain then you have nothing.
Ivy G.
user 11334250
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 77
I was disappointed to find that the National Grange supports GMOs. It appears though that the California Grange as a whole, and or grange, does not.
Ivy G.
user 11334250
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 78
Interesting quote from todays Bee about the split in the Grange. I think we should support the CA Grange in this fight:

The positions espoused by the state Grange have put it at odds with the national organization. The National Grange revoked the California State Grange's charter in April and filed suit in Sacramento Superior Court to try to force the state Grange to cease operation. The case is pending.

"Unfortunately, some of the leaders in California have chosen to take an exclusive view and declare war on large agriculture," said National Grange President Ed Luttrell. "They are divisive and exclusionary. We believe that's not sensible."

Luttrell and McFarland share the view that the fight is over whether the California State Grange is required to follow the national organization's policies.

Luttrell says it must; McFarland says, "This is a democracy. We don't have to agree or abide."

Many members say they think the California State Grange's stance against genetically modified products is behind the split. The state Grange's members backed last year's Proposition 37, a statewide initiative calling for labeling of genetically modified food products. It lost in a close election in November.

"We are very liberal compared to the National Grange," Keel said.

McFarland is more blunt: "California has a reputation for being the black sheep in the family."