Sacramento Valley Permaculture Guild Message Board › Need help with design of property

Need help with design of property

Jane Cole J.
user 14205969
Orangevale, CA
Post #: 2
I have a quarter acre in Orangevale. I have been looking without success for a professional or knowledgeable lay person to help me with some design on the property. I live on an incline and need to figure out if swales are an option. Currently the property is set up to run all moisture off of the property. Any help would be most appreciated.
Tara S.
user 61819122
Group Organizer
Citrus Heights, CA
Please call Chris Lopez 916-642-3445. Swales are his specialty!
Robert C.
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 22
you can use swales to sequester the water into the ground which is the best storage option especially if you have garden beds or plan to add fruit trees. You can still use them and have excess water drain off the property. Swales will slow the water down long enough for much of it to percolate into the ground
A former member
The decision to use swales depends on many factors. Slope: swales are not appropriate for slopes of more than 5%and are not appropriate for flat ground. Second: if your goal is to grow tree's on contour, swales are fine. If your goal is to evenly hydrate your slope, swales are not the answer. Swales turn sheet flow into channelized flow and only deeply infiltrate water at that point along the slope. Drainage: Have you done a perk test? You don't want to have water standing for any more than 12 hrs...and that isn't exactly ideal either. And they should never cut across a natural drainage way. There are variations of swales , and MANY other options to slow, spread and sink water and rehydrate a slope besides carving a trench into it. Lots of permies get "swale happy" but they are not always appropriate or useful. It also depends on your site, soil and goals. That being said...sometimes they are a great solution. If you are interested in a consult, let me know smile