addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Seattle Jazz Scene Meetup Message Board › Re: where's everbody from the meetup?

Re: where's everbody from the meetup? Or, how this meetup is different from the other ones.

Yogi M.
Mercer Island, WA
Post #: 4
Hi Everyone,

A couple of members have posted that they were disappointed that they didn't see other people from the meetup group at gigs they went to.

It's because of the way I have structured this meetup.

This is kind of a non-traditional meetup, which is mostly a jazz gig calendar with perks like you get to communicate with the other members.

One idea is tell everyone on the meetup when you will go to a gig and ask if if anyone would like to meet you at the gig. Then trade emails and make the arrangement.

Or let your FB friends know you are going and ask if any of them want to meet you there.

Or tweet to your people, call them before the gig to see who wants to come, etc...

All this helps people to go to the gigs and helps people to come here looking for gigs. When musicians know people come here looking for gigs, then they want to post their gigs here - so it's a self-feeding cycle that helps grow the local indie-jazz scene. Lately it's gotten to be more gigs than I can list by myself, so now I make other musicians event organizers so they can post the gigs here on their own. So you see the direction this is headed in...

These are not meetups where they all reserve a table and wear meetup badges. Hopefully you will invite friends, or you can go alone and just start talking to other jazz fans there and meet people. I can promise, for my part, to make a meetup badge and wear it to the ones I go to if that would be helpful to folks.

Already, I try to let everyone know when I am going to be there or not. Often I go alone to the gigs, since I'm single, and sometimes I bring a friend or two.

Don't let being alone stop you. Most jazz fans enjoy meeting other people who like jazz also, and at these gigs I'm listing here, people tend to be very friendly, peace-loving music enthusiasts, if they aren't also musicians themselves. Musicians are especially easy to talk to. Ask "Are you a Musician?" And you'll get the lowdown on what they are up to. This way you might find other gigs you want to attend too, or at least meet musicians you didn't know before.

Jazz gigs can be great singles meetings. Jazz fans tend to have college or higher education, have developed tastes in music and arts, and are genuinely interesting people to meet. So go for it!