This Meetup is cancelled

Circumnavigate Indian and Marrowstone Islands

  • Lagoon Beach

    Indian Island Park Road, Port Hadlock, WA (map)

    48.025810 -122.721870

  • Meet at 8:30 a.m. at Lagoon Beach at the end of Indian Island Park Road.
  • Description: We are going to circumnavigate Indian and Marrowstone Islands, with a lunch and explore-town stop in Port Townsend along the way.  This paddle will be assisted by some of the strongest currents of the year, including 4 knots flood current all the way down the east coast of Marrowstone Island.

    Sign-up Requirements:  This is a 20 nautical mile paddle.  There will be substantial current assist most of the way. This paddle is exposed much of the way and there will likely be current effects, rips, wind, waves, and container ship wakes.

    To sign up for this paddle, you must be an intermediate or advanced paddler with good boat-handling, bracing, re-entry, and rescue skills and be able to paddle a sustained 2.5 knots pace.  The kayaking experience and skills needed for this paddle must be documented in your meetup-profile information and your answers to the sign-up questions.   RSVP's without answers to the sign-up questions will be deleted.

    Schedule and Itinerary:

    8:30 a.m. - meet at Lagoon Beach, off-load, and park (no parking passes required).

    9:00 a.m - launch and paddle through Port Townsend Canal and north to Port Townsend, visiting Port Hadlock and Fort Townsend State Park along the way. (8.n.m.)

    ~ 12:00 p.m. - arrive at the Wooden Boats Foundation beach in Port Townsend, secure our kayaks, walk into town, get lunch, and be tourists :)-.

    ~ 2:30 p.m. - launch and paddle across to Ft. Flagler State Park, around Marrowstone Point, down the beautiful and varied east coast of Marrowstone Island (with a stop at East Beach Park), around Kinney Point, and back to where we started. (12 n.m.)

    ~ 5:30 p.m. - arrive back at Lagoon Beach, take-out, load up and head home, with an optional dinner stop along the way.

    Conditions and Contingency:

    This paddle is contingent upon reasonably safe wind and weather conditions.  If conditions out in Admiralty Inlet are too windy, returning to Lagoon Beach via Kilisut Harbor and the portage at the Indian/Marrowstone isthmus is an option.

    Equipment Requirements:

    Kayak, paddle, pfd, paddlefloat, pump, sprayskirt, sunglasses, sunscreen, water and snacks, waterproof hat, VHF radio if you have one, drysuit.  Layered warm clothes, waterproof insulated paddle gloves and/or pogies, warm head and ears protection.  Extra change of warm clothes in a dry-bag.  Bicycle lock and cable if you have them.  Kayak wheels if you have them, in case we end up portaging.

    Immersion Gear:

    Wearing a drysuit is mandatory for this paddle.

Join or login to comment.

  • Kate D

    Looks like an ambitious paddle. I wish that I could join you. I will be home on Marrowstone Island for Father's Day. Be aware of the -3 tides around noon when you land. Aaron call me if you still have my #s and need any local assistance with logistics, etc ...

    June 12

    • Aaron S

      I'm not sure I still have your number, Kate. Can you e-mail it to me at [masked]? Yes, those are going to be very low tides! Long paddle, but ... we'll have some great currents pushing us right along. :)- A knot or two going north, and four knots the whole way down that beautiful east coast. We can sit back, enjoy the scenery, and move at four knots! (... plus tailwind?! :)-. Come join us for part of it if you can.

      June 12

  • Aaron S

    As of 8:30 a.m. Thurs., the marine forecast for Admiralty Inlet is: Sun...W wind 15 to 25 kt...Wind waves 2 to 4 ft.

    This paddle and its variations would not be a go under those conditions.

    Please check back here on Friday for updates. If that marine forecast remains, I will substitute a more protected paddle on nearby Puget Sound or Lake Washington for this Sunday, and re-post the Indian/Marrowstone paddle again in a month, when very similar favorable currents again occur.

    June 12

    • bjhedahl

      Okie dokie, thanks!

      June 12

    • Aaron S

      New Admiralty Inlet marine forecast, as of 3 p.m. Thurs.: Sun....Light wind...becoming NW 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 2 ft or less in the afternoon. Much improved!!! Stay tuned, folks, this paddle may be a go. :) 4 knots current plus a tailwind? Hee hah!

      June 12

  • Aaron S

    My current plan is to stay in Port Townsend on Saturday night, going directly from the Port Orchard paddle. I'll likely get a hotel room, but may camp out. I am open to carpool possibilities, plus others may want to carpool with each other. As thing now stand, I will be carrying two kayaks on my roof.

    June 11

  • Irina S.

    Aaron, how are you planning to get to lagoon beach. i was wondering if you going alone, may be we can carpool or i can follow you. It would help me quite a bit since I am still learning my ways around. thank you

    June 11

Cancelled

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Imagine having a community behind you

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy