Urban Homesteaders Message Board › Learning from Each Other - What Knowledge do YOU have?

Learning from Each Other - What Knowledge do YOU have?

Jirius Isaac
user 11430732
Group Organizer
Kenmore, WA
Post #: 13
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Moondrop, Welcome to the group. Sound like you are on your way to self sufficiency. If youneed any advice or help with your garden stuff, just let me know. 206-841-9976
A former member
Post #: 33
I have experience with:
Canning
Cloth diapering (and sensitive skin/skin issues and allergies)
Sewing (clothing, quilts, household linens)
Some livestock (pigs, cows, chickens)

I'm interested in:
Gardening for food
Other landscaping type things (rain barrels, compost)
Knitting, darning, crochet and related things
Michelle Riverson
user 25753732
Marysville, WA
Post #: 1
Hello everyone, I'm Michelle, I live in Marysville and work in downtown Seattle so 20 hours a week are spent commuting. It's worth it to come home to my little farm and trees and peace and quiet!

I feel like I can offer tips on a few things and hope to learn and grow in all things that you each have to offer! Around my place I have veggie and ornamental garden beds, horses, chickens and a HUGE compost pile out in the woods. I have a five year old who wore only cloth diapers as a baby with the single exception being the swim diapers for her infant swimming classes at the Y.

I have a lot of information in my head about ways to do things and will investigate/analyze a new hobby to death, but in practice I'm pretty laid back and take a somewhat balanced combination approach to stuff. For example, I prefer organic, but sometimes we are going to eat at McDonalds. I have a compost pile but I do not stir it or take its temperature, ever. I mow my lawn and maintain my property with a huge riding mower not a push cutter. I heat the house with a wood stove and often cook on it, except during the workweek when I use the electric furnace. My chickens eat natural feed and free range all day, and today they had a bright pink Dora the Explorer Go-Gurt for breakfast. I buy local produce in late summer and can fruit, applesauce, tomatoes, etc... and sometimes my daughter gets spagetti-o's for dinner. I keep live sourdough cultures and bake about half of the bread we eat, but I bake it in a bread machine 9 times out of 10.

So, there's a little about me :) Hope to get to know you very soon!

ian
saber_152
Maple Valley, WA
Post #: 241
hi new here i make wine about 20 years now mostly mead and folk wines. im also a chef.
A former member
Post #: 2
My wife and I have the usual variety of kitchen hobbies and are active gardeners.

I have made biodiesel and still brew beer and make wine, although I could use a short course in wine making this fall if someone is teaching it. Mine is hit or miss and that is a heart breaker when a year's work is found lacking in the end.
I am a novice to hunting and fishing but do both once a year recently. Could use more skills and knowledge with either. I would be interested to learn reloading ammo.
Have made soft cheese but want to learn hard cheeses. I am taking a class on that in May.
I would like to meet with someone who raises fish for food especially if they mix it with vegetable growing, greenhouse style maybe.
I am a very novice mushroom hunter but only trust myself with chanterelles. Would like a mushroom meetup if someone knows a good area and has knowledge.
If someone has a small orchard that goes partially unused it would be fun to rent a press and make cider or plum wine.
I would like to learn to build a better still. For ornamental and historical purposes. I would host this class if someone can teach it.
I would like to learn about alternative building- earth, straw, log homes. I could possibly host the class if someone can teach it. I would also like to build a tree house and/or a hobbit home.
If another beekeeping meetup happens I will try to attend.
Also hoping to learn more about foraging and gathering shellfish.

Things I feel I could give advice on:
gardening related topics
landscape ideas
meat smoking and dehydrating
off the grid living discussion
owning/ managing a recreational property

I'll probably see some of you around.
Alison Wishart
user 45841742
Everett, WA
I am new to this group. I have moderate knowledge of gardening, constructing raised beds, pruning, and animal husbandry growing up in farming community and being certified veterinary assistant. I do my own baby foods, breads and canned veggie and jams. I make some great smoked meats. My husband and I crab every year from our 27 foot boat in the San Juan's. We try to eat mostly organic 90 percent of the time.

I want to learn more on raising chickens, and wild edible picking and salmon fishing. I want to learn other power off the grid sustainable ideas and concepts.
A former member
Hi,
I am living on a tiny farm. I'm a lifelong gardener. My sister and I are starting a raw goat dairy. We also have 6 pregnant sheep, sheep for sale, pigs, 30-40 chickens, 5 geese, 8 turkeys, quail etc.
I love gardening and collecting unusual seeds to plant. I also like trading plants ( how about a spring plant swap?)
One of my interests is in building a type of solar heat collector I've seen on pinterest. It uses black tin cans in a wood frame. I'd be willing to host a solar building day after the weather gets warmer.
I'm also very interested in a trading network. Swaps are good for the environment.
My location is south Port Orchard.
One evening a week, I'm hosting a computer programming group for teens to learn.
Other than that, I knit well, sew better, and enjoy writing.