Our first Eastside study group (hosted by Microsoft) but yes, Seattle folks are welcome, too. We'll try this schedule for March/April and see how this works.
TOPICS FOR THE WEDS 3/27 Bellevue study group:
Main theme: Let's Get Sketchin'
- Why a sketch?: Review the steps for creating a datavis and figure out how/why sketching is so strongly recommended
- Gallery Walk: Data visualization sketches; see what makes them tick
- Sketch-a-set: We'll take a set of data results/stories and practice illustrating these with back-of-the-napkin sketches, lots them!
1) Do a search for -"data visualization" sketches- and look at images of sketches; find one that appeals to you and email it to me or bring it to the study group
2) Look at http://www.napkinacademy.com/ and get a few ideas about how to create sketches
If anyone has a work-in-progress and would like some feedback from the group, please let me know!
What to bring: fully-charged laptop
DIRECTIONS & PARKING
The Lincoln Square Mall is located at the intersection of Bellevue Way NE and NE 8th. Park in the parking garage beneath the mall (free exit from the mall after 8:00 PM) and take the elevator up to the 2nd floor. Walk around the elevator and look for a second set of elevators (I think they're labelled 'Eddie Bauer' and 'Microsoft'). We'll congregate there and then go up together to a conference room in the Microsoft offices. If you get lost or dazed and confused, call Leah at[masked]-3654.