First Universalists Again Join Secular Bible Study!
1stU-SBS attendees will join Sister Joan Mitchell, a lecturer and Catholic Nun of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, to explore the leadership role of women in the rise of Christianity & the early Church, as depicted in the Biblical New Testament:
"Leading From Fear to Faith: The Women in Mark’s Gospel"
Women lead from fear to awe to faith in Mark’s gospel. The 60 verses about women in this 660-verse gospel make clear women followed and served Jesus in his ministry in Galilee and accompanied him to Jerusalem. Peter’s mother-in-law is Jesus’ first woman disciple. A woman cured of hemorrhage testifies publicly to her healing, telling the secret of who Jesus is that others never tell. A Syrophoenician woman teaches the teacher and claims crumbs for Gentiles. A woman prophetically anoints Jesus as messiah before his conviction for this identity. Jesus insists her story should be told in memory of her whenever anyone tells his story. Mary Magdalene and other women witness Jesus’ death and burial and find his tomb empty.
After Sister Joan's presentation on Week 1 (Sept. 13), Joan and 1stU-SBS attendees will discuss these and other questions on Week 2 (Sept. 27):
- What women followers of Jesus do you know by name? What paintings depicting scenes of Jesus’ life have touched you? What women are in these scenes? How does art both open and limit how we see Jesus and the women in his life?
- What knowledge or assumptions do you have about the roles and value of women in Jesus’ time?
- How fair are feminist principles of bible interpretation to the text? To the communities of faith that value the scriptures? What if the Christian scriptures are deeply sexist? How can they continue as authoritative sources today?
- What significance do you find in the women’s stories that you did not find before this presentation? What does any one of these women offer as a role model today?
- What continuing quarrels do you have with the gospel? What appreciation?
Don't miss our 1stU-SBS Joint Meetup Series on September 13 & 27, 7:00 PM, on the word about Women in the Bible -- from those who know -- Nuns!
RSVP " YES " today!