addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Secular Bible Study Message Board SBS Polls & Feedback › A Curriculum: We Want Your Input!

A Curriculum: We Want Your Input!

Chester O.
user 8161442
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 19
Grant and I, the organizers and facilitators, have put together a little curriculum. It is divided up into three blocks, each with four topics that correspond to one or more Bible study sessions. Depending on the generality of the topic, one topic might cover two or three sessions, however, such as the formulation of the canon. We’re hoping for each block to have one expert guest speaker.

The instructions are as follows. While the blocks are set in a particular order for a reason, the topics within each block are fairly open in terms of how they can be ordered. So, within a block, order the topics according to your level of interest and we’ll get to those first. If there is something that you’re burning to cover and discuss, please feel free to suggest it. If there is one or two you have zero interest in covering, and enough folks agree, we’ll consider removing it. Keep in mind that this is only an initial curriculum, so as to provide a basis and guidance for moving forward. After we’re done, we expect the group to provide more direction.

Feel free to order your preferences here on the message board. At the next meeting we’ll have handouts of this information for people so that folks without computer access can indicate their preferences. If you would like to wait until then, that’s fine.

Block 1: History and Culture
Formation of the Canon
Major Periods of History of Judah and Israel
Formation of Select Books of Bible Major
First Century Judaism

Block 2: Books of the Bible and Words/Images
Differences Between Translations
Book of Job
Book of James
Satan (interpreted, anthropologically, by Rene Girard)

Block 3: Related Topics
Creationism/ID and Evolution and the Bible
Feminism and Women in the Bible
Homosexuality and the Bible
Theologies and Ethics of the Bible
A former member
Post #: 1
Here are my levels of interests in these topics. 4 is my highest level of interest, 0 means I have no interest.

Formation of the Canon 1
Major Periods of History of Judah and Israel 3
Formation of Select Books of Bible Major 2
First Century Judaism 4

Differences Between Translations 1
Book of Job 3
Book of James 2
Satan (interpreted, anthropologically, by Rene Girard) 4

Creationism/ID and Evolution and the Bible 4
Feminism and Women in the Bible 1
Homosexuality and the Bible 2
Theologies and Ethics of the Bible 3
Thanks for the opportunity to provide input.
Teresa K.
teresaklo
Winnipeg, MB
Post #: 84
Formation of the Canon (4)
Major Periods of History of Judah and Israel (1)
Formation of Select Books of Bible Major (2)
First Century Judaism (3)

Differences Between Translations (2)
Book of Job (4)
Book of James (3)
Satan (interpreted, anthropologically, by Rene Girard) (1)

Creationism/ID and Evolution and the Bible (4)
Feminism and Women in the Bible (3)
Homosexuality and the Bible (2)
Theologies and Ethics of the Bible (1)

I have used the same method to mark my interest as Lee used. 4 is highest interest, 1 is least. All 4 topics in the final block could be labeled 4.

The last block is the most interesting to me. And seems like it could be expanded; there are so many controversial topics related to the bible. One thing I would like to discuss is the context of the bible, and the statements by atheists like Richard Dawkins that belief in God is very similar to belief in a "Flying Spaghetti Monster." How reasonable is this comparison?

I have a bit of a background in the topic of ID and Evolution, as I have a degree in Zoolgy from the University of Washington, Seattle. This is an area of special interest to me.
Frank B.
fhburton
Group Organizer
Minneapolis, MN
Post #: 1
I like all the topics listed, but would suggest adding (to block 2 or 3) a discussion of the historical, political and societal issues of the Book of Revelation (e.g., issues like Millennialism, Dispensationalism, Anti-environmentalism, the Rapture, the End Times, Armageddon, the Antichrist.) I suspect, especially nowadays, it would be a worthy discussion topic (unless it will be covered already when discussing "Satan.")

Frank
Teresa K.
teresaklo
Winnipeg, MB
Post #: 87
I would also like to suggest a discussion of oral history and other examples of oral traditions. How reliable are oral histories generally considered to be?