addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Seeking the Muse Message Board › Challenge: Get Out of the Box

Challenge: Get Out of the Box

Terri M.
Group Organizer
Cherry Hill, NJ
Post #: 12
Hey Everyone,

Here's a little exercise that you may not like, but it will help to strengthen your writing skills and range. That's why it's a challenge.

Most of us have a preferred style of writing and I could go on and on listing them all. You know what you like to write. Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, prose, humor, satire, serious, sensitive, fantasy, political... whatever. smile

I want you to try and break out of your comfort zone in writing.
If you like to write humorous stories, I want you to take time to write a story that isn't based on humor. Write something serious, without sarcasm.
Write something scary or romantic.
If you're used to writing serious pieces, then try writing something with humor.
If you're used to writing prose, try poetry. If you're used to poetry, try prose.
If you like using a lot of metaphors, try not using metaphor.
If you use a lot of dialog, try to write something without dialog.
If you always use first person point of view, try writing through another person's eyes.

You get the picture.
You know what you like to write.
Write something else.
Challenge yourself to try out new writing styles.
Don't shy away from new topics. Branch out.
Try something new.
You might even like it.
Terri M.
Group Organizer
Cherry Hill, NJ
Post #: 294
I double-dog dare you