Semantic Web 101
(Beer and pizza will be provided courtesy Porch.com)
There has been a lot of interest in the SEO and SEM communities of late about knowledge graphs, schema.org and graph search. Much of this is due to the enormous adoption of these standards by the major search and social engines.
This talk will:
- Cover the basic foundations of the semantic web, what exactly is microdata and schema.org? What precisely are knowledge graphs and graph search, and how are these now related to SEO, SEM or website creation/optimization in general.
- Provide information about tools (courtesy of the semantic web community) for understanding and leveraging this technology
- Explain how you can leverage this for your website/business
Presenter: Barbara Starr
Recruited from a teaching position while studying for her doctoral degree, to build expert trading systems on Wall Street, Barbara Starr has worked in the area of Semantic Technologies for the past 2 decades in many domains and has watched the evolution of the Semantic web. She subsequently spent almost a decade at SAIC, and was PI for many government projects (including acquaint which led to Watson, HPKB, which was the genesis for the semantic web) and others. After starting her own consulting business, she then continued to work with DARPA and SAIC. Overstock was her first foray into the e-commerce and SEO world, and she has not looked back since! She currently works at AlgebraixData – The Semantic Web Company – as Senior Vice President of Product Management!
She is also:
- Organizer of the San Diego Semantic Web group
- blogs on the topic at http://searchengineland.com/author/barbara-starr
- Frequently speaks on the topic and actively promotes the semantic web