addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Seven Hills Camera Club (7HCC) Message Board › Book Review - Close-Up and Macro Photography

Book Review - Close-Up and Macro Photography

Bob I.
bobisr23
Worcester, MA
Post #: 13
Close-Up and Macro Photography, by Clive Branson
A review by Robert Israelian

I found this book to be a good review or introduction to the fundamentals of close-up/macro photography. This would be especially useful to a photographer considering a more in-depth approach to this specialized area of photography but for someone not wanting to get too technical. Branson covers many aspects of the subject starting with definitions and distinctions between close up and macro. He reviews a variety of types of cameras and equipment clarifying how they would likely perform when applied to this subject matter. He does not show a bias to high end equipment but spells out where there might be limitations or advantages. An exception to this might be his stressing the right kind and quality of lens for the intended job. Like most skilled photographers he reminds us to think ahead about your photographic goals before the shoot and match the equipment and lighting accordingly.
By Chapter 3 Branson is getting into shooting flowers as a subject. On this topic he makes many creative and artistic comments or recommendations that lead to better images. But again he stays away from issues of physics or technical science. Traditional “rules of composition” are included in his synopsis of the topic. Branson goes on to spend a chapter on lighting, a multitude of other photo subjects are reviewed including falling droplets, smoke trails, fabric, insects and many others.
In conclusion I feel the book is more than a review of Close-up and macro photography. The advice found in this book often is applicable to all types of photography. It is an easy read with lots of photo examples. I would recommend it to any intermediate photographer who is already successfully using and understanding their camera and wants to get started with close up or macro photography.
A former member
Post #: 139
Hi Bob, thanks for very interesting review. Recently I borrowed a macro lens from a friend. I had it for about two weeks and found that I kept with my standard zooms, probably because I was most familiar with them. Although I did start out enthusiastic about macro, the lens pretty much sat idle on my shelf. Would you consider letting me borrow the book for a little while ... maybe a week or two. Maybe reading it will rekindle my interest in macro. Should you wish to contact me through my email, it is Casual.Photo@Hotmail.com­ Thanks.