addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Shanghai Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Photo editing 101

Photo editing 101

Jacob C.
Jacob.Creech
Group Organizer
Wellington, NZ
Post #: 2
Came across a useful post on sorting through masses of photos, and figured I would share with the group.

If you are like me then you probably take millions of photos, put them on your computer and promptly forget about them. The more there are, the less likely you are to sort through them.

This blog post shows you how to whip through your photos and relatively little time, ending up with great results.

If anyone else has any resources on photo editing/sorting, please feel free to share them here.
Seth
Seth.Powers
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 2
Good post Jacob!

I used to use the star rating in Lightroom but only ever in a binary kind of way. If it's not total crap and has some sort of potential, it gets a star. Otherwise, zero. I feel like if you're shooting people and have a real high volume of images, the Chase Jarvis 5-star method is a good one.

By the way, I'd also say if anyone isn't using Lightroom, they probably should be. Haha. It's really fantastic for keeping your photo library sorted and in order. The image editing that you can do with it is also super easy, powerful, and intuitive. 90% of everything I do in post is done in Lightroom. The other 10% that needs Photoshop are things like stitching panoramic images, cloning funky distracting things out, blending exposures, and uhhhh, that's about it. So maybe 95% in Lightroom :)

Here's a link to the demo of Lightroom 4: http://www.adobe.com/...­
A former member
Post #: 4
Seth, are you willing to host a workshop to share your Lightroom / Photoshop workflow? I'm always interested in learning about what works well for others.
A former member
Post #: 2
I second Dale's suggestion. I think it would be a great idea to have our more experienced photographers doing workshops giving advice on photo editing software, general tips and tricks, recommendations regarding photo equipment etc.

Are you up for it Seth? wink

Maria
Seth
Seth.Powers
Shanghai, CN
Post #: 3
Wow, people sure love making plans for me. Hah!

Seriously though, its a good idea. Dale, maybe you and I can get together and come up with some teaching ideas? You're already doing awesome on the "10 Portraits" meetup.

I'm going to post some links to good photo resources here in a bit. And some inspirational links too in the form of friggin' awesome photographers.
Powered by mvnForum

Our Sponsors

  • Boost Agile

    Meetup group support (and Dale and Jacob work there)

  • Phottix

    Assistance with and joint events and workshops.

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy