Sidetrackers Outdoor and Active Singles Meetup Group Message Board › Skeet Shooting OVerview

Skeet Shooting OVerview

owenrm
user 6328416
Jacksonville, FL
Hi All,

Welcome to the Side-Trackers gun and skeet club!  ;)

I'm sending you a brief overview of what you can expect Saturday.  Candy and I went to the range last week to get first hand experience.  It's really a lot of fun and sure to be a hit (a blast?) with all of you.  I've had some good questions recently. I'll try to answer them here.

First, if you'd rather meet everybody at the venue as opposed to car pooling/caravanning, please feel free.   We'll be there as a group one way or another.   Also, if you get there first, please go ahead and sign-in at the club house.   You'll need to sign a waiver (separate and apart from side tracker's waiver), hand over your driver's license and get gun/ammo/ear plugs.

Second, if you've never handled a shotgun before, it's different.   I strongly encourage members who have never held a gun or are unsure about their skills with guns to buddy-up with someone who has.   This is for everybody's safety and will increase your comfort and enjoyment.   Candy was a shot-gun virgin and skeet novice last week.   She fired two shots, then a third for good measure and is decidedly not a skeet shooter.   That's COMPLETELY ok.  Give it a try, if you don't like it, offer your shells to the next person and cheer them on.  This is about having fun and is not to be confused with an olympic tryout.   We're all (well almost all) complete novices at this so there's no shame in missing everything you aim at.   :)

Candy and I will be offering direction and guidance as best we can - given we're second timers.  It was our experience last week that the club members and staff there are extremely kind, helpful and enthusiastic about their sport.   If we run into any issues, Candy and I will try to get them addressed as quickly as possible.

There are different fields of fire at the club.  The best way to visualize it is here:

http://www.claytarget...­

I think we'll try "trap" as it allows the most people to shoot the quickest.    The "skeet" field seemed to limit shooters to a single person firing multiple times while others just watched.  There's also a field that's sort of like a shotgun golf course.   You walk along a trail and stop to fire at various "traps" along the way.   We didn't try it but I'm sure a few adventurous souls will give it a go.

I HIGHLY recommend coming to the lunch at Peppers after the event.   If you can't make it please let me know.   I've called ahead to reserve 20 seats.  The restaurant is very good, service is quick and the food excellent.  Also, you'll get to see Fernandina's Centre Street which is beautiful.   I suspect you'll all want to go back to Centre Street on a weekend night.   The food, music, bars and people watching are "Key West" like in quality/quantity and variety.

If you have questions I haven't addressed here, please email me and I'll do my best to answer.  :)

Owen