addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Skeptics of Tucson Message Board › Now that that's over...

Now that that's over...

Don L.
AZAtheist
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 4
Folks, I really believe we can have fun with this skeptics group. It could be a place where we can drop the shields and freely discuss rational responses to pseudo scientific, paranormal, mythological, and fraudulent happenings.

Religion will always be with us and a skeptic can be religious but there is plenty of things to be skeptical about without touching on religion. There are crop circles, Bermuda Triangles, pyramid claims, palm readers, mediums and the like.

While much of what he proposed has been since rejected, the author Erich Von Daniken has had a lasting influence on skeptics. He asked questions about things and posed possible answers that were not thought of before. They were outrageous, true, but once people started asking questions and offering "out of the box" solutions, it enabled skeptics to look further and in some cased find plausible explanations. If nothing else, he motivated quite a few specials on the Discovery channel.

So I'll respectfully ask again. Are there topics out there that our skeptic group could address? What are your meeting preferences?

By the way, let's keep this thread positive without the inflammatory verbiage. Skeptics are not all negative about everything. Sometimes they just want evidence.

Also, until we are more comfortable with each other, let's try and avoid the political and religious discussions.
A former member
Post #: 4
Don, Bob:

I owe you guys and apology, and probably the other members of the
group, too. My language in my previous posts was too intemperate. I can only
say that no harm was intended--I guess I wanted to provoke some discussion,
but went too far (probably got too enamored of my prose). Hopefully, if
you'll allow me to continue participation in the group, and you get to know me
better, you'll just start writing off my little rants.

Anyway, your suggestion of "let's try and avoid the political and religious
discussions.", is a good idea. Just goes to show you've got a lot more sense
and are a better moderator than I'll ever be. I'll just shut up and listen
for a while.

Jack
Don L.
AZAtheist
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 5
Jack

You appear to be the only one participating in the discussion and offering suggestions for topics. I thought that I'd start the discussion over again in case others felt that the discussion was too hot to jump in. Personally, I'm not against an energetic exchange but I'm trying to keep the door open for "all comers".

That being said, what does the group say about having a meeting dedicated to faith healers? I chatted with a member of another group the other day who is convinced that his roomate's wandering eye was cured by a faith healer and he swears that he saw a woman's leg grow 4 inches before his very eyes. I'm afraid I'm skeptical and I have some idea how the leg growing trick works. As far as I know, there haven't been any amputated limbs regrown. Perhaps there are those that have some evidence to bring about true examples of faith healing in action (I doubt it, but anything is possible).

Don