addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Skeptics of Tucson Message Board › Top This One

Top This One

A former member
Post #: 31
Canyon Ranch has a job opening listed for a clairvoyant. (psychic)
A former member
Post #: 10
What a shame that there are no real adds out there for social revolutionaries and activists. Society says: "Do that yourself."

OK. www.matthew1010.com

Andrew
user 2751251
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 91
I am suspicious of Canyon Ranch for many reasons. I am not surprised they have clairvoyants. They also have yoga, meditation and probably everything else you can imagine.

More interesting than the clairvoyants is the fact that they seem to practice the opposite philosophy than what they promote. They talk about peace, tranquility, harmony and all those other virtues, but at the end of the day they just want to take your money and then cut costs, by not paying their workers their promised share. Check out this most interesting article below. Doesn't it show that a lot of the people who organize and sell this sort of paranormal new age stuff are merely filling other gullable people full of fantasy, so they can take their money? If they are so spiritual, blessed and connected to a richer way of life, then why do they have to screw people out of their money?

http://www.luxist.com...­

Often at spas and resorts, instead of having customers deal with tips a gratuity is built in. Easy for the customer and a little assurance for the practitioner, right? Well not in the case of Canyon Ranch, the luxury getaway in the Berkshires. As the Boston Globe reports, the resort has agreed to pay a whopping $14.75 million to around 600 massage therapists, hair stylists, waiters and other employees that worked at Canyon Ranch between April 2004 and October 2007 after a lawsuit accused Canyon Ranch of breaking a state law that prohibits management from taking tips reserved for service workers. Canyon Ranch has denied any wrongdoing in the settlement filed in Massachusetts this week, stating that service charge was "was never intended to be a significant part of the employees' compensation plan."

The suit said that not only did workers feel like they might lose their jobs if they asked to receive the tips but that guests were discouraged from giving extra gratuities. If a client still wanted to tip extra the worker couldn't accept the money directly but had to send the client to another area of the spa to complete the transaction. This isn't the first suit of this kind but it is one of the biggest payouts around.

Canyon Ranch has eliminated the 18 percent service charge instead charging a "resort amenities fee" that does not include tips. The spa still discourages tipping. Certainly resorts have the right to set up no tipping rules but in cases where the gratuity is added in it is natural to assume that the worker has received the tip just as they would have if you pressed the cash into their hands. Personally, while I can sometimes find the process of tipping to be awkward I would much rather have the control. I also tend to enjoy tipping, it allows me to visibly demonstrate my thanks for great service.

Anyone who is going to Canyon Ranch should be skeptical. Especially if they know what sort of financial shinanegans they engage in.