Snohomish County Board Game Group Message Board › Paying for the Meetup Site

Paying for the Meetup Site

Paul S
user 10862424
Everett, WA
Post #: 2
Our wonderful leader Mary has been absorbing the cost of this Meetup site. I think it is time we have a discussion of how to defray the cost, which is $12 to $19 per month depending on the payment plan she uses.

Some possibilities are:

• All members pay a small annual fee.
  • When attending a scheduled Meetup event there is a small suggested fee per person.
  • Donations of an unspecified amount are given to Mary on a purely volunteer basis.

There are pluses and minus to each of the above ideas and one of the items to consider is how the funds would be transferred to Mary ( will collect only from an organizer). For an annual fee something like PayPal may be the best method but Mary and everyone paying would need to have a PayPal account. Cash works, but only if paying in person at an event.

I would like to have others put in their 2 cents (pun intended), and hopefully the group can come to a consensus on this matter.
user 11626600
Arlington, WA
Post #: 2
I would totally be okay with paying something. I do have a paypal account. Financially we could afford a one time fee it it's not too much or a little month by month.
Nancy T.
user 9973306
Everett, WA
Post #: 1
I think it's a great idea! I would definitely be comfortable with an annual or per-event fee and I would be fine with either paypal or cash.

One of the things that one of the past meetup groups I was involved in did was charge a monthly fee for the planned events you attend, but you also had the option of paying for a year in advance which cut the cost just a bit for those of use who are at almost every gathering.

My only concern with a required yearly fee is scaring away new members, you know?
Group Organizer
Marysville, WA
Post #: 6
Paul, thank you so much for being my advocate! Since I've been absorbing the cost up to this point, I think it would be good if contributions are made on a voluntary basis, or the suggested fee per person, and really reiterate that it is only suggested. We have some people who just check us out once and might realize we're too much fun for them to handle wink in which case, it might not be so much fun for them to have to pay to play with us. I think having a suggested or voluntary donation from our regular members is a great idea. Or even a "your first meetup is free, after that we would suggest a donation" kind of thing. I do have a paypal account that people can transfer funds into.
Lane T
user 12923322
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 63
Paypal is the way to go. I'm in for whatever.

Heidi L.
user 29426882
Stanwood, WA
Post #: 5
Was anything decided about this ( Paypal?)
Group Organizer
Marysville, WA
Post #: 8
If you'd like to do PayPal, my email address for it is Everyone who has paid so far has given me cash.
Marysville, WA
Post #: 5
I didn't event realize that meetup charged for this site, I assumed they were funded by advertising.

I was about to star my own, but may reconsider now.
Group Organizer
Marysville, WA
Post #: 9
Yeah, it's about $20 a month.
user 4408086
Seattle, WA
Post #: 67
I like to pay at the time I attend with the option to donate additional monies if I want and/or make a large payment when some extra money comes my way (kind of like paying in advance). It is hard for me to make the meetup as I don't have a car and have to commute from Seattle. I like what this group does though. I belong to a game club where we have a monthly fee as well as a pay for a day fee if you want to do that instead. At some groups cost of item atplace they are holding it and a 2 or 3 dollar fee when you play at least one game and/or attend the event plus the cost of special events based on an advanced commitment and payment when there is a one time cost. The 2 or 3 dollar fee usually has a larger crowd than you have so you might want to charge more.