So Cal Photo Walkers Message Board › Why We Haven't Been Active This Summer

Why We Haven't Been Active This Summer

Paul Edward R.
user 68831612
Huntington Beach, CA
Some of you may have been wondering why I haven't organized anything, this summer.  We had a Nighttime shoot in Laguna Beach, on May 8th.  I missed that, as well as the one on the 12th of May and the Seal Beach walk, after that.

On the morning of May 8th, I received a phone call, telling me that my son, Martin, in Dallas, had just been stabbed and was in critical condition.  As I was on a plane, he was in the operating room.
Martin was taking his 7-year old daughter to school, when he saw his neighbor being stabbed by her husband.  She was stabbed 17 times.  Martin intervened, but received seven stab wounds, including one to his brain.  He passed away on May 15th -- three months ago, today (Thursday).

I spent three weeks in Dallas, trying to help my daughter-in-law deal with things.  Upon returning to OC, in June, I just didn't want to have to face people and talk about it.  Even being behind the camera provided no refuge.
Recently, I have started to shoot again.  I will be taking the rest of August off, as well as September.  In the meantime, any member may email me with a suggested meetup and I will put it on the schedule if that member agrees to be the Organizer for suggested event.

I retired from full time shooting, over the course of the past year, but officially retired on April 1st.  My goal in establishing this group was to simply announce where I was going to shoot, and if others wanted to join me, that would be great.  It still is. :-)   Unfortunately, only about half the people who RSVP 'yes', actually show up.  I know, plans change.  Well, until the death of Martin, I never missed a meetup that I scheduled -- in other words, I made it a priority, once I committed.

Running a meetup group is not free.  It takes time, but it also costs $180 a year to have a meetup page.  I began to think, why spend $180, out of my pocket, if only half the people who RSVP actually show up?

I want to continue the group and provide photo opportunities to those who can take advantage of them. We have had 19 meetups since November.  In order to do so, there will be a non-refundable $2 attendance fee for each event.  I know that I will loose some members.  I think $2 will not discourage anyone who really wants to attend a meetup, and it will not be too big a loss to anyone who has an emergency arise.  However, I believe that it will discourage those who sign up, then don't show.  The fee will be required in order to RSVP.
Remember, anyone can now suggest a meetup, and if it seems to fit the needs of the group, it will go on the schedule.
Regards,
Paul
Budd R.
user 98522352
Mission Viejo, CA
Post #: 1
Paul,
What can be said, other than God bless you and your family.
Budd
A former member
Post #: 12
I am so sorry Paul! You and your family are definitely in my prayers!
Carolyn C.
user 35712102
Rialto, CA
Post #: 13
Paul, I am so sorry to hear this and will keep you in my prayers. I do feel that the $2 charge is definitely fair and a good idea! Please take your time returning!
Cindy S.
Cindy-lou
Mission Viejo, CA
Post #: 1
Paul!!!! I am truly very sorry for your loss. My deepest thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.
Hugs to you all