So Cal Tribe Message Board › Happy 5th Anniversary SoCal Tribe!

Happy 5th Anniversary SoCal Tribe!

Don
Group Organizer
Chino Hills, CA
Five years ago today, (August 30, 2007) I started the SoCal Tribe and became member number one. I had a lot of support from friends that wanted me to do this and within one week we had over 100 members.

I had a clear vision of what I wanted this group to be. I wanted it to be about fun, friendship, hope for everyone, a 2nd chance to do the things we always wanted and a way to connect with new people. I have always told the leadership in the group that it is about the members not the organizers.

I wanted this group to be for everyone, no matter what race, background, personal beliefs, financial situation or what they looked like. For me, we are all part of this great gift called life and are all looking for the same things. A place to belong, find respect, hope, friendship and good times.

No matter how large our membership has grown in these past five years, I have tried to be true to the principles of wonder, hope and fun and giving members a safe place to meet and form lasting friendships. We have had members that have met, fallen in love and got married, we have members that have stuck with us from the very beginning and do social things with people they consider lifelong friends. We have also had a few members that have fallen victim to the mortality of life and are no longer with us, but will never be forgotten.

I wanted our events to be polished, well organized, high quality and for our website and events to have a pleasing and professional look. I hope we have succeeded.

So now, we are looking at the next 5 years. I do not have a crystal ball and can’t predict what Meetup will be like 5 years from now. I do know one thing for certain; change is always a part of the future. For instance, 5 years ago how many people belonged to Facebook and Twitter or how many of you had a smart phone, tablet (I-Pad, etc) or e-reader? Somehow Meetup has been able to keep up with changing technology and changes in Social Networking. Hopefully that will continue and I sincerely hope that each of you will be part of the Tribe’s future as well.

I would like to make a toast to the future and to great adventures ahead for all of us. Here is to all Meetup groups, those that made it, those that faded and those that are yet to come. Welcome to this exciting adventure and may your life be filled with all good things. The story of the Tribe will continue. To the next 5 years. See you all out there!

Patti M.
pmaddams
Brea, CA
Post #: 3

Don,
You have done an excellent job! The Tribe has always had events that were welcoming to all with friendly and interesting people. Thank you and your organizers for the time you put into this group. Paul and I show up once in a while and still are welcomed with friendly open arms.
thanks,
Patti Maddams
Chris M.
user 7736431
Covina, CA
Post #: 2
Cheers to you Don -- and THANK you!
Steven (The Dancin...
Anaheim, CA
Post #: 42
Thank you Don, you've done wonders for so many people.
Martha
user 9966363
Colton, CA
Post #: 1
SALUD!!! To you Don, Thank! You for all you do
Barbara
user 8568879
Yorba Linda, CA
Post #: 1
Thank you Don for your time, work and wonderful job you have done for us all, much appreciated!!!