Active Lifestyle NERDS! Message Board › Book Club Discussion Topics

Book Club Discussion Topics

James M.
user 54150592
San Diego, CA
Hello everyone!  I am excited to see all of you for the second nerdy book club.  I wanted to extend an invite to all the other nerds in the group to join us, even if you haven't read the book.  As you'll see from the topics below, I hope generally for a fun nerdy conversation.

See you there!

1) Initial Impressions. Thumbs up/Thumbs Down? Who will go on to read the second book in the series? Good adaptation/Fan Fiction?

2) Does this book evoke the use of imagination? Is this book written to get people to read, or is it written to make a movie someday? This is your chance to compare this book to other popular series that have led to big budget movie adaptations, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and maybe even Eragon. The imagery in these books seems to scream, "Make a screen play out of me!" Do authors today write with that in mind? Frank Beddor’s book seems to give very exact/precise descriptions of the world which make it very easy for his graphic novels, versus the original Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Louis Carol (aka Charles Lutwidge Dodgson) which seems to demand a grand imagination to picture the world Carol created for us. Do we like our imagery spoon fed or would you rather work a little to imagine the world you're reading about?

Check out the Looking Glass War's Website if you have a chance. Is this the future of literature?

3) Has anyone imagined/studied the possibility of a multiverse?

From Wiki: The multiverse (or meta-universe) is the hypothetical set of multiple possible universes (including the historical universe we consistently experience) that together comprise everything that exists and can exist: the entirety of space, time, matter, and energy as well as the physical laws and constants that describe them. The term was coined in 1895 by the American philosopher and psychologist William James. The various universes within the multiverse are sometimes called parallel universes.

The structure of the multiverse, the nature of each universe within it and the relationship between the various constituent universes, depend on the specific multiverse hypothesis considered. Multiple universes have been hypothesized in cosmology, physics, astronomy, religion, philosophy, transpersonal psychology and fiction, particularly in science fiction and fantasy.

Some believe that not only do these multiverses exist, but they also influence and effect one another. If the idea is that all things possible exist, then it must also be true that certain possible universes require that the universes interact. Could there be a Wonderland out there? Better yet, could there exist a way to interact?

4) The movie is in pre-production. As in our last discussion, what could go and what must stay? Imagine with me what the movie will be like.

5) Did anyone look at the historical time line in the back of the book or online? Many fantasy books are doing this these days. Abe Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, etc. Many Vampire books and films use history. Do you enjoy properly placed fantasy works in historical contexts? Any other good examples that everyone would like to share? Did Mr. Beddor do enough to describe his historical world? Could he have done more?

6) Violence in fiction… Did readers find this book too violent? Worse than Ender’s Game? Or were they just really cool fight scenes? Anyone else dying to see Hatter in action?

7) Open Discussion. What discussion topics would you like to talk about?

Preview: Next Month's Book - The Hobbit

Siddhartha
user 33090942
San Diego, CA
Post #: 5
I have a couple of suggestions for future readings:
1. A Canticle for Leibowitz, by Walter Miller. Written at the height of the Cold War, it is set in the post apocalyptic future.
2. Perdido Street Station, by China Mieville. This belongs to the steampunk genre, and has won many awards.