Active Lifestyle NERDS! Message Board › Book Club Discussion Topics

Book Club Discussion Topics

James M.
user 54150592
San Diego, CA
Dearest Nerds,

Howdy folks.   I wanted to send this note out to everyone to encourage as many of you to join us for the Book Club discussion, even if you haven't read the book.  The Book Club has become more than just a time to discuss our latest book, but it is a great opportunity to meet other members of the group and sit back with friends and have a great discussion about all things nerdy.  Many of us in the Book Club have become very close friends and we look forward to adding new faces to the group.  (Yes that's right - Nerd World Domination!)

Many people come to the book club without having read the current book, and I like to ask everyone for their opinions on various topics.  Come, talk, laugh and have fun with us.

With that said, here are some of the topics we'll talk about:

1) Graphic novels are becoming a lot more main stream.  Did you like this book?  Are there other graphic novels you've read?  Are there other graphic novels you would recommend?

2) Graphic novels in movies.  Most of the books we've read are being made or have been made into movies.  What movies have you seen that were based on graphic novels?  Any you would recommend?

3) What makes a graphic novel graphic?  The tone of our book was more of a mystery/noir with very little gore.  Movies and books like Sin City and Watchmen can be extraordinarily violent and, at times, gross.  What place do "graphic" books and movies have in our society?  What effect?

4) Where are all the vigilantes?  Vigilantism (is that a word... if not, you heard it here first folks) is a common theme in comic books and super hero stories; and heroes are often treated with both scorn and praise.  Could society use a few more vigilantes? Or should we all just keep our tights and capes in the closet?

5) What makes something nerdy?  I love Noir.  Book Noir, Film Noir, even Science Fiction Noir (Blade Runner - Woot!).  Few would dispute the nerdiness (uh oh, making up words again?) of Science Fiction Noir, but this theme has come up several times in our discussions.  So let's have at it...  Is it the obscureness of a thing? The unlikeliness?  The look?  One person said about finding us at a meetup by asking people to look for the nerdy looking people, but I noticed that none of us looked very nerdy at the meetup.  I look forward to discussing the nerdiness of nerd things.

So again, hope to see ya'll there.  Melissa, that means you too...  I don't care that you didn't read the book.  Jeremy, you better have read the book this time!

Cheers,

Jim