Kayak D.
user 11370843
Hollywood, FL
Post #: 24
Really good, as in useful, input. Probably not looking to peddle with an A group. Yes, I am interested in going faster/further on my fitness rides and durability/reliability is a concern. I'll check out Atlantic Cycle when I get a chance.

Thanks.
Chris
user 2618416
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Post #: 14
Cannondale generally make great bikes (I've had a few,) but I like to have more hand positions than a flat bar allows. I tend to get some numbness in my fingers and soreness in my wrists on long rides on flat bars, though ergo grips can relieve that a bit.

I also like having the option of a more areo position (in the drops) when encountering a headwind, it makes a big difference.
Kayak D.
user 11370843
Hollywood, FL
Post #: 25
You might find this interesting. I am taking a class which includes a section on kinesiology. I've learned this. Responders to my inquiry offered mostly mechanical reasons for a faster ride with a road bike. But apparently the bent over position offered in a road bike geometry bike does way more than make for less wind resistance. By bending over at the hip one (pre) stretches the hamstrings. A pre-stretched muscle is stronger than one that is not, hence a bikers stroke will be stronger if bent over (flexed) at the hip. So, while hybrids and other bikes that offer a more upright sitting position may be more comfortable (and create more wind resistance), they do not allow the rider to maximize the strength in their legs. Cool, huh?
Kayak D.
user 11370843
Hollywood, FL
Post #: 27
It's been a long time since I posted here. After long consideration I decided upon a Bianchi Pista, single speed/fixed gear road bike. I decided I didn't need gears for the kind of riding I do not to mention the upkeep, maintenance and cost of a geared road bike. I've been riding the bike for about 6 months now and it is an absolute pleasure to ride, smooth and totally quiet. The only sound I hear is the humming of the tires on the pavement. And, it has been absolutely maintenance free. The only regret I have is that the bike didn't come with braze ons for a water bottle. Thanks again fro everyone's input.