This is an annual event that always has a lot of good music and food. The band lineup this year includes Coco Tea, Tifa, Edley Shine, Lady Flame, Intellect, Jah Works, Carl Malcom, Strykers Posse, Lenny Kurlew, Passion Band and Storm Band. For the full list, see http://jamaicadayreggaefestival.com/ . Tickets are $25 in advance and $30 at the gate.
Grab your chair and/or a blanket and come out out for a great day of music. Hope you can join us!
Some more info to help you plan your day:
1. The entrance to the Anne Arundel County Fairgrounds is at 1450 Generals Highway, Crownsville, MD. There is plenty of free parking. If you get there early, you'll have to walk about 50 yards to the gate. If you get there later, you might have to walk 200 yards.
2. There is a walkway around the venue that will be lined with food trucks serving mostly Caribbean food. I can promise that some of the food will be very good. There will also be beer, wine and drink vendors. The prices will be about what you would expect at a fair (not cheap, but not insane).
3. The stage is at the bottom of a hill, so everyone will have a good view. The hillside is covered with grass, and gently sloped which makes it good for chairs or a blanket. I like to bring both. If it is a hot sunny day though, the biggest issue will be shade. The only trees are in the back and along the sides. I plan to get there at noon and setup camp under one of the trees in the back. That's about 50 yards from the stage. Around 5 pm or so when it cools off, I'll move down front.
4. I also plan to bring a small, soft sided cooler that holds four small bottles of water, and a few snacks. I've never had trouble getting that through the gate, but anything more than that might be a problem. You can leave and come back in though if you need to, so if you have to take your food and drinks back to the car, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
5. I'll email my cell # to everyone at 9 am the morning of the event. When you get there, call if you have trouble finding the group. We'll be meeting up with Social Md and probably some members of DC Caribbean Music Lovers.
6. If anyone has any questions, let me know and I'll do my best to answer them. I've been to this event four years running, and I've always enjoyed it :-) Keep your fingers crossed for good weather, and I hope to see you there.