add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Socrates Cafe Louisville Message Board › About that "value of religion" discussion we haven't put on the ca

About that "value of religion" discussion we haven't put on the calendar yet....

Louisville, KY
Post #: 195
This little 3 minute piece might serve a as a road map for the discussion we seem still to want to have but well know might just turn into a shouting match. : ) He makes the point of steering the discussion right down the center line even though his own point of view is very much to one side. Could we be as thoughtful? As patient enough with each other?
I am posting this here rather than on KPS because I think the regulars have been around this track often enough to realize that the thrill of touting our own viewpoints on this subject can wane over time and digging underneath the "soundbites" of this very complex and personal subject will take a commitment to the process we don't usually have to make.

The BBC World Service
Coming up on the World Today at 0700 and 0800GMT ... what can atheists learn from religion? The philosopher and staunch atheist Alain de Botton has written a new book in which he sings the praises of religion. He praises hymns and sacred ceremonies -- and even calls for temples for atheists. Click on the link to hear his thoughts, and let us you know what you think.­

Ed B.
Louisville, KY
Post #: 69
Thanks Teresa. This really is a terrific piece and really could serve as a jumping off point.

Perhaps we could come up with an appropriate venue and format to havr this discussion. I'd been musing over the idea of an event at my place, but perhaps somr other venue would be better.

Let's talk.