This hike is a gentle pleasant stroll that forms a loop on the Cobblestone and Orchard Trails in Annadel State Park. While this hike lacks impressive views it is a pleasant stroll through Annadel State Park. Annadel covers 5000 acres and has many trails. This hike is probably the most mellow of the bunch! The loop travels by old Cobblestone quarries and returns through former orchards. It gains only 400 feet so the uphills and downhills are gentle. This is not a "knocks your socks off" type of hike...it's more of a great walk to get out and enjoy nature while leaving you time in the remainder of your day to still get a lot of other things done! This walk takes a little over 2 hours. New or experienced hikers...this is a great beginning to your day!
From Highway 12 and Calistoga Road on the northwest end of Sonoma Valley drive 1.1 miles southeast on Highway 12 (Sonoma Highway) to Los Alamos Road. Turn right and drive .2 miles to Melita Road. Turn right and immediately veer left onto Montgomery Drive. Drive a half mile to Channel Drive. Turn left and go .6 miles to the posted Cobblestone Trail on the right. Park in the large dirt pullout on the left. This dirt pullout is free. Further down Channel Drive is the fee parking area for the park and other trails.
Please read and be familiar with the guidelines of the group as listed below. It’s important before you come on a Wanderer hike that you agree and are prepared with the following.
- We combine enjoyment of the trail with respect for everyone’s time. A steady pace and we just keep going! If you are in the lead you will end up waiting at trail junctions. If you are in the back you will be asked to do your best to keep up with the group and at waiting points the group may move on as soon as you are within sight. Our pace averages 2.5mph. We do get separated from time to time as everyone walks their own pace but please bear in mind that you will need to be able to stay within a reasonable distance from the group. Make sure this is something you are prepared for and would enjoy
- Please always check your email the night before just in case there are any necessary adjustments to the hike details. Cancellations or any adjustments will be posted by 10pm the previous evening.
- TO BRING: YOU! glorious hiker person you – dying to hit the trails and laugh, talk, sweat and enjoy in a group of like minded Wanderers… Oh yeah, and you should always bring your hiking safety essentials, layered clothing, water, rain gear if needed and snacks for your pocket if you think you might need a boost. We don't have a snack break on this hike due to it's short length.
- RSVP etiquette must be followed. Only RSVP when you can commit to attend. Once you have RSVP'd if you have an emergency that means you have to cancel please change your RSVP by 5pm the prior day. This will avoid a "no-show" reflecting on your participation history. Over 3 "no-shows" might mean we have to excuse you from the group. We try very hard to respect each other in this group.
- Give yourself time to find the trail head so that you arrive prior to the scheduled time. That is the time we head out on the trail. It would be disappointing to miss having you on the hike due to late arrival. You will be left behind if you are not ready to head out at the hike start time.
- Bring your smile and great attitude! We are ALL about trail enjoyment while respecting everyone’s time!
See you on the trail!